Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Help? How Do I Say It?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help? How Do I Say It?
scaredaboutthetruth
Neophyte
Member # 33668

Icon 5 posted      Profile for scaredaboutthetruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well for a starter, Thank you to this site as it has helped me so much.

Right anyways, I'm 15 finally :] and I'm a lesbian.
Alot of people at school know im gay and all my friends know after coming out to them for like a year or so, and even some teachers have clicked onto the fact that I'm gay cause of all the stuff I have been through at school like name callings and that.
But one thing I dont know what to do is how do I tell my parents? I really want them to know so I can stop hiding it from them.
Also to add to it I have a Girlfriend who I'm very happy with and I enjoy being with her, the only thing is, is that because I don't know how to tell my parents they are starting to get weird about the fact that I'm always on the phone and talking to this one girl and I'm worried they will find out without me telling them and then wonder why I didn't tell them.
So basically what I need help with is how do I tell them? what ways have worked for others and is there any advice you can give me?

Also my Girlfriend is comine down in easter hopefully so I'm scared that they won't let her come if they know I'm gay.

Thank you in advance :]

[ 02-09-2008, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: scaredaboutthetruth ]

--------------------
...×..._[[I]] Wish I Could [[Remove]] It From My [[Mind]]...×...

Posts: 28 | From: leicester | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the dynamic like in your home when it comes to acceptance of homosexuality or bisexuality? Is it something -- not in terms of you, but in general -- that is ever talked about at home? If so, what are those discussions like? Do you expect your parents to be okay about your orientation or not?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67167 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scaredaboutthetruth
Neophyte
Member # 33668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scaredaboutthetruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Urm...

My parents well my dad don't really have anything nice to say about gays he always makes jokes about them and everything, and my mum, well she doesn't really say much about them its not like a topic we have in our house and that cause well we don't talk much about things just live in the same house and their my parents...
And well I don't know what to expect, just from the past things through my life, my sister has gay friends well used to and well my dad would just make a joke out of them and that and so it makes me think that he wont really accept that it doesn't change who I am if you get what i mean there...

and thank you for the quick responce

--------------------
...×..._[[I]] Wish I Could [[Remove]] It From My [[Mind]]...×...

Posts: 28 | From: leicester | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In general, it's usually a good idea when coming out at home to start with the family member who is likely to be the most supportive. Since it seems like your Dad is homophobic, looks like if you want to come out at home, it might be better to start by talking to your Mom or another family member.

You might even start by talking more about homosexuality in general before you come out yourself. Maybe asking your Dad why he makes those jokes, even talking about homophobia in a more general way?

And sure: you can expect the same sort of "rules" they might have were you dating someone opposite-sex to come into play if and when you come out. If they wouldn't be so keen on having a boyfriend around for Easter, or spending the night, they're likely to feel the same way about a girlfriend.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67167 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.