Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Is there a name for this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is there a name for this?
danslespommes
Neophyte
Member # 36558

Icon 5 posted      Profile for danslespommes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys... first off, I think this will be confusing to try to explain, but if anyone has some kind of similar experience or even recognizes what I'm talking about, that would be great. Just getting it off my chest will be a big relief I think.
The way that I feel about relationships is that, romantically, I am attracted to people regardless of their physical gender or gender-identity, which I guess would qualify as bi. But physically, I have no attraction to anyone at all. Hugging I'm fine with if I'm comfortable enough with that person, kissing is bearable, but anything more sexual than that feels awful no matter who it's with.
I was looking up some stuff about asexuality but it doesn't seem to take into account that I do want some kind of relationship that's more than friendship (just not physical.) Do these kinds of relationships even exist, or am I kidding myself? Is this a valid orientation that is shared by anyone else?
PS. [Confused] Sorry that this came out sounding pretty whiny... the situation has been feeling more stupid and weird than ever lately, so any input at all is appreciated.

Posts: 1 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Windy-La Raindrop
Neophyte
Member # 35470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Windy-La Raindrop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those kinds of relationships do indeed exist... here's a quote from the Wikipedia article on Asexuality:

quote:
Relationships
Asexuals may experience romantic attraction, or the desire for, fantasy of, or propensity towards romantic love, often directed at people of genders falling within an affectional orientation. Many asexuals also identify as straight, gay, or bi, using the terms in a strictly affectional sense, or alternatively as hetero-, homo-, or bi-romantic. Some asexuals identify as "aromantic." A relationship between an asexual and a sexual person may or may not involve sexual activity.

If you read the rest of the article, it's pretty clear to see that this has been defined as a valid kind of orientation. Even though I don't have any similar experience, I'm willing to talk or just listen if you want to, and other people who may have more of a hands-on view may drop by, but I thought you'd appreciate that article. *Hugs* for you. This is a tough issue to go through by yourself; good for you for posting.

--------------------
I'm not as random as you think I salad.

Posts: 23 | From: On the third shelf, right next to the ketchup. | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.