Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Gay, straight, bi, oh my!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gay, straight, bi, oh my!
LBelle22
Activist
Member # 35782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LBelle22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"On a human and an emotional level, I find that the line is very thin between gay and straight and bisexual. To me it's all love."- Thea Gill

I guess if I was to describe how I feel about my sexuality, that would probaly be similar to what I would say. To some, being straight is who they are, it's the sort of lifestyle that they were raised to accept. I myself was raised with the concept that married couples, parents, and so on are supposed to be a man and a women. I personally now find this concept to be complete B.S., who says two people of the same sex can't get married or have children? I say they can!
In a recent post I said that whenever I think about my future I see myself with a man. But the longer I thought about it the more I realized that that's not 100% true. At times I can imagine myself with either a man or a woman, I guess you can say I could go both ways. For me, that's scary as hell. Why? Well, I guess I'm afraid of a number of things like how my parent's would react. Although I don't feel as though I need them to accept me, if they don't like who I am then why should I care?
The sad thing is where I live, I see homophobia on a daily basis, whether it's at school or even at home, it's always there. And I just hate when people say "That's gay", it is sooooooo anoying!
What do you think? Does anyone here feel the same way, if so why? Any responses are welcome. I would really like some input!

- Thanks,
Lauren [Smile]

[ 11-30-2007, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: LBelle22 ]

Posts: 40 | From: Providence, RI | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know how you feel. I am bisexual, but my primary attraction really is to women, and so, at some point in my life, it's almost definite that I'll end up in a long-term relationship with a woman. This is not a scary thing for me, in and of itself. In fact, it gives me warm and fuzzy feelings inside when I think about it. However, I do worry about how my extended family would react. My parents are pretty liberal and accepting, but my other relatives are a whole different story.

Over the summer, my cousin brought his girlfriend to our family reunion. It made me think about what would happen if I were to bring a girlfriend to a family get-together. I can't imagine that it would go well. I don't feel like I need to be out to my extended family at this point in my life (it would likely just cause unnessacary pain), but what about later? What about when I'm in a committed relationship and have kids with a woman? I don't think I could realistically keep that a secret. I love my family a lot, and I hate the idea that my relationship with them could be ruined because of my orientation. It's scary.

Homophobia is annoying. It also kind of frightens me. I mean, I hear how casual people are about using hate speech, and I wonder if they'd be just as casual about worse things. It just doesn't really make me feel very safe.

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.