Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » When Should I Come Out?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When Should I Come Out?
RaindropsKeepFalling
Neophyte
Member # 35685

Icon 3 posted      Profile for RaindropsKeepFalling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me and my friend spontainiously kissed last week and we've been secretly dating since then. I now know I'm a lesbian i'm 13 turning 14 in March. My mum and dad don't mind about gays but I think it'll be really hard telling them. Should I tell them wehn I'm 16 or 17? or should I tell them now?
Posts: 15 | From: - | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only real answer anyone can give you is to come out when you feel ready. Since you think your parents would be accepting, you may want to tell them now, but know that there's no pressing need for you to come out. You should do so on your own time, when you feel comfortable, whether that's right now or years from now. (Of course, it's perhaps a little bit of a stretch to say "comfortable", as coming out can be intimidating even when you do think the time is right and the person you're coming out to will react well.)
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.