Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » How do you know when you're gay?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you know when you're gay?
SFgrrrl
Activist
Member # 35244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SFgrrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find it easier to imagine having sex with a girl than with a guy. This may just be because I'm a lot more familiar with female bodies, through having sisters, etc. On the other hand, maybe it's my subconscious trying to tell me something. And guys just make me so nervous.

So even though I've heard a lot of people say "oh, if you're gay, it'll be this emotional thing" are there people for whom it really comes down to "well, I'm more comfortable with the way things are physically in a same-sex relationship"?

Posts: 207 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chickenfeet
Neophyte
Member # 35563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chickenfeet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think that if you get aroused by girls then you could be gay or bi. do you get aroused by guys too?
Posts: 22 | From: Newark | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know you're lesbian when you are strongly emotionally and sexually attracted to women.

Really, it really is about that simple.

But if women seem appealing only because women seem "easier" in some way, or somehow less complicated, not only is that a misnomer, that's not really something considered an indicator of homosexuality. When you're homosexual, just like if you're heterosexual, even if dating or partnered sex is or seems complex, or a given group of people seem complicated, that wouldn't halt an attraction to them and also somehow magically create an attraction to a different group.

That said, some women do identify as political lesbians... as women who want to dedicate their lives only to women, partner only with women, or who are sepratist, but in my experience, most of those women are pretty clear about that being a political choice rather than a sphere of attraction.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killerDOTcom
Neophyte
Member # 28598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killerDOTcom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been emotionally attracted to guys in the past. Yet i still consider myself completely heterosexual-- primarily because i would never even consider having intercourse of any kind with a guy, hence the 'sexual' part of hetero or homo. Being a bi is totally not what i would do but everyone has their own limits with bisexual thinking-- "do you really go for both, or do you actually prefer one, and go for the other when that one doesnt work out..."

Ask yourself these questions; you may just find an answer, though its not always that simple.

--------------------
STFU n00b!
~ kthx

Posts: 8 | From: Virginia | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.