Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » I'm pretty open about my sexuality to everone, but my family

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm pretty open about my sexuality to everone, but my family
CEILIDH_CANNABIS
Neophyte
Member # 35340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CEILIDH_CANNABIS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All my friends know I'm bisexual, and I don't care ... I mean I'm not ashamed, I am what I am and nobody can change it.

Except, I can not tell my parents/sister about my sexuality and I don't know why.

My sister is bisexual herself and she has even dated a girl for 4 years ... so she completely knows what I'm going through, but I just can't tell her and I dunno why.

My dad isn't homophobic at all, he doesn't care what somebody's sexuality is, he may make the odd joke but nothing to nasty.

My mum ... well I don't even know what to think of her, whenever I try and hint to her that I'm bi she goes "Don't worry me now!" or "I would never trust a bi person, you dunno where they've been" =/ yet she let my sister's girlfriend live with us for 2 years.

I just don't understand my mum, one secound she's all open minded then the next she's being a twat.

I wanna tell them, but I dunno how, I'm pretty sure my sister knows coz I have bi under my orientation on myspace, and she has a myspace aswell o.0 eek.

Posts: 1 | From: Wales (: | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honey, talk to your sister.

Really, there's just no reason NOT to come out to a family member who you know full well is going to be supportive to you.

So, start with her, first. Then you can think about -- and ask for her help with -- where to take it from there.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ametrine
Neophyte
Member # 35652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ametrine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are really that worried about telling your mother, my advice is wait until you move out. that way if she freaks you don't have to be under the same roof. if she is ok with your sister, she should be ok with you. she *might* be dissapointed about having a second not straight daughter, and wonder where she went wrong. but if she is accepting of your sister, she should accept you.

telling my best friend who is bi that i was lez was scary. i knew she would be accepting, but there was still doubt in my mind. i told her and she was accepting, supportave and excited for me!

Posts: 6 | From: Durango, Colorado | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.