Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » New member ^_^

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New member ^_^
atomic_somebody
Neophyte
Member # 15204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atomic_somebody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my first post here so first I'd like to say 'hi'. I'm 15, female and for a couple of years now I've been wondering whether or not I'm bi. I think I am, but still not 100% sure. I really want to talk about it with a friend or something (because I don't feel comfortable discussing it with my parents) but the thing is, EVERY SINGLE ONE of my friends is completely homophobic. Sometimes I'll bring up the topic to see what they think about it and I get responses like "Eww, if one of my friends ever told me she was bi I'd never talk to her again. That's disgusting" etc. It makes me really depressed because I feel like I can never come out to them even when I am ready. Any opinions/suggestions are welcome. Thanks for reading
Posts: 1 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kara Zor-El
Activist
Member # 14499

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Zor-El     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First things first...I extend a warm welcome and a big cyber-hug to you

Second, is it safe to assume that whenever you have raised the subject of bisexuality to your friends, you've all been in a group together? If that's true, I'm not surprised that if one of them starts saying, "Eww, nasty!" that the others join in the homophobia. It would take a lot of guts for someone in a group of 15 year-olds to have a difference of opinion. In short, I'm wondering if all your friends are truly homophobic or if some of them are being influenced by more dominant members of your circle in order to fit in. Have you tried to talk to someone in a one-on-one situation?

Your dilemma is a tough one, no doubt. But how desperate are you to be open about your sexuality right now? If you're not about to start dating a girl imminently, does it make any sense to potentially alienate some of your friends? The good news is that 15 year-old girls inevitably grow older and some of their attitudes mature with experience. In the meantime, posting stuff on here is a good outlet and hopefully you'll be able to find at least one confidant or even a GLBT support group in your area.

Good luck, sweetie,
Kara

------------------
"If you're going through Hell, keep going..."
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 123 | From: New York City | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nerdalicious
Neophyte
Member # 15504

Icon 7 posted      Profile for nerdalicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey there! I'm new as well so I figured I'd put my intro post in here rather than wasting space making a new thread. I'm 13, bi, Canadian, and am I the youngest person here? Hope not. Anyways if you want to know more about MOI check out my profile or email me! Talk you you later.
Posts: 6 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Want to introduce yourself to everyone here? check out the Village People forum. You can write about yourself. but you cannot contact members via email unless you are writing to a moderator. do NOT ever post your email address here.

------------------
You can either be part of the problem or part of the solution, but in the end, being part of the problem is much more fun.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.