Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » The damned agony of a crush

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The damned agony of a crush
stellar_jules
Neophyte
Member # 11961

Icon 3 posted      Profile for stellar_jules     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I'm new to the boards, so shalom to everyone.
I've known I am bi-curious, (or whatever terminology would be assigned) for a while now, but I'm not out yet. I can see myself connecting physically, but most of all emotionally, with members of both sexes. Up until about two months ago, I'd been going out with a guy for over a year, but I've never actually gone out with a girl.
Now, it seems like a new relationship is incipient between one of my guy friends and I. The only problem is, I'm majorly crushing on a female friend of mine right now. It's that bittersweet agony: some amorphous stuff that is quite well revealed in Sarah McLachlan songs. My crush also happens to be the head of a very involved, very small extracurricular organization that is quite dear to my heart, with a few very dedicated/smart/cool people working over 20 hours a week on it. Our group won't say we're best friends, but we're pretty tight knit, not a surprising thing when you consider how much time we spend together. The last thing I want to do is introduce some awkward revelation or situation to mar that kind of balance.
I've had crushes on girls before, but this time it seems like she's reciprocating. I'm really not one to make a first move or for that matter any move until I'm dead sure, and I really don't want to end up creating an awkward situation because I misinterpreted just platonic or unserious, flirty acts for cues. If she is in fact bi (I've ruled out her being lesbian), she isn't out. I really don't feel comfortable revealing that I'm bi. It's not that I think that the people in this group are homophobic, but I really don't want to draw attention to myself or give them any weird ideas about me. It's true that it would only maybe cause 2 weeks of awkwardness, but I really stilll am not willing to chance it. Again, they're not best friends, but very cool people.
At the same time, I'm desparate to find out if this chemistry I'm feeling is mutual. It seems like she started to show the signs first, but if they are advances, I've been sending mixed signals. Hm...I really really hope there's no chance that anyone I know could be reading this right now. Damn. [see note below] I probably should have been more specific about this whole post, but I'm just really really confused and hesistant right now. How do I find out for sure?

------------------
-Jules
Read James Joyce for a good shrug
Read Toni Morrison for a good cry
Read Amy Tan for a good laugh
Read Jack Kerouac for a good soul
Read Dave Eggers for a good thought
Read Stephen Hawking for a good brain
But by all things that are good and pure, don't read Karl Marx's prose.
*this post was edited for more anonymity and clarity. yes, i am evidently paranoid. ciao to all.*

[This message has been edited by stellar_jules (edited 02-24-2003).]

Posts: 4 | From: Somewhere in Texas, hopefully to be NY, CA, or MA in two years. :United States. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunset_Rose
Activist
Member # 10181

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Sunset_Rose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, Welcome to the boards!
Its always nice to see new people posting here, because I firmly believe in the greatness of Scarleteen!

Secondly, this is going to sound really obvious, but the only answer i can see to this is to ask her.
Weigh up the pros and cons of asking her how she feels, and if you feel like its worth it to know how she feels, ask her.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Posts: 123 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stellar_jules
Neophyte
Member # 11961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stellar_jules     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's really the only logical solution. I've been thinking about really circuitous, random, and contrived schemes to find out, like leaving a cryptic note in a CD I'm about to lend her. Really random, really, really needy-sounding, I'm sure. *sigh* What a double edged sword infatuation is.
Posts: 4 | From: Somewhere in Texas, hopefully to be NY, CA, or MA in two years. :United States. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stellar_jules
Neophyte
Member # 11961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stellar_jules     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, much thanks. Sincere advice is priceless.
Sunset_Rose
Activist
Member # 10181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunset_Rose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, your very welcome.
And I know what you mean about the double edged sword... *sigh*

Posts: 123 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.