Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Gay adoption

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gay adoption
Sunset_Rose
Activist
Member # 10181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunset_Rose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, if this has been done before, but after all the fuss in the UK recently, was the law actually passed allowing gay adoption? And what does everyone think about this?
Posts: 123 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a quick search and found some topics on gay/lesbian adoption in general - e.g.:

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum15/HTML/000050.html
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum8/HTML/000508.html

- but none on the particular law change in the UK .

Actually, though, "gay adoption" has been going on for quite a while in the UK. There are no laws that prevent gay men or lesbian adopting as single parents (although some adoption agencies won't place children with gay or lesbian parents, just as some won't place children with single people at all).

The recent shift (and yup, the law finally got passed here) has been about allowing gay and lesbian couples - and unmarried heterosexual couples - to adopt as couples.

Previously, if any of these couples wanted to adopt, the only way was for one member of the couple to apply to become a "single adoptive parent". The social workers would know this person was part of a couple and would evaluate the couple as parents together - but only one person would become the legal parent of the children. If that person died, their partner would have no parental rights, and could potentially lose the children, even if they'd been involved in bringing them up all their lives.

I think the change in the law is a very good thing - not only because of the equal rights issue, but also because it will hopefully increase the pool of potential adoptive parents.

There's a serious shortage - at the moment, most prospective adoptive parents seem to be looking only for healthy newborn babies, whereas most of the children who are available for adoption in this country are older and/or have special needs.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bill on gay adoption was not passed, thanks to the Conservative party.

I think they set up what was referred to a "three line whip"? against it.

A few MP's were against the parties oficial stance, which led to the leader Iain Duncan Smiths speech about "Unite or die"...

I'm trying to find an article on it.

Here we go!
http://search.sky.com/search/skynews/results/1,,,00.html?QUERY=%22Gay+adoption%22&CID=30000&x=24&y=13

Whole bunch of 'em!

[This message has been edited by Slayer_gurl (edited 11-19-2002).]

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it has now been passed, despite the three-line whip. Check it out:

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/commons/story/0,9061,834515,00.html

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunset_Rose
Activist
Member # 10181

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Sunset_Rose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your help you guys!
Nice to know that they did pass it after all, despite the opposition.

Posts: 123 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tjd
Neophyte
Member # 10292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tjd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I can say is thank god it passed. Now it would be nice to see all of the U.S. states follow suit. After all if society thinks that is is ok for one woman to raise a child, why should it be bad for 2 women to be raising a child. And since there is absolutely no evidence that women are any better or worse at raising kids than men, why restrict that to women. If it is ok for one man to raise a child, why would it be worse to have 2 loving men raise that child. It makes no sense whatsoever.
Posts: 4 | From: Ohio | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnyside
Neophyte
Member # 10702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnyside     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
agh, I need to move to the UK. in Houston they won't pass the most basic of gay rights bills. you would not believe some of the recent letters in the chronicle raging about homosexuals. my favorite quote (paraphrased) was: "if we allow them [gays] the right to be married, we are opening the door for other groups to request the same right." what is he talking about?? sheep??? polygamy? it terrifies me, the level of intolerance!
Posts: 18 | From: texas. boy howdy. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sunnyside:
what is he talking about?? sheep??? polygamy? it terrifies me, the level of intolerance!

Haha, I laughed out when I read that. Sheep! I'll remember that one, sunny.
I wasn't aware (as a fellow Houstonian )that gay rights were the rage right now. Does the Chronicle make a big deal of it? I hadn't seen anything.

------------------
Deegsy
ST advocate

"One of the most adventurous things left us is to go to bed. For no one can lay a hand on our dreams."
-E. V. Lucas

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fly_little_wing
Activist
Member # 8684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fly_little_wing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sunnyside:
what is he talking about?? sheep??? polygamy?

HAHAHA! Good point! Yeah, what do they think we'll want? For 3 people to be able to get married? To legally marry our pets?! To be able to marry more than one person?! AAHHH! Atleast they're kind of making progress in Canada...

Posts: 41 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa, careful. There is nothing at all deviant about loving more than one person, and, just as loving someone of same sex isn't deviant. And, as has been discussed many times in this forum, there is nothing wrong with wanting to marry those you love.

I'm not trying to start a discussion about polyamory (There are plenty of those going in Sexual Ethics and Politics.) but just a reminder that we have to be respectful of everyone's safe and consensual choices.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunset_Rose
Activist
Member # 10181

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Sunset_Rose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I said, I too am glad that they passed that law, but what about the others? There is still a long way 2 go as far as dicrimination goes in this country. I also am appalled at the lack of basic gay rights in America, the country of freedom! As an idealistic english person, I feel slightly crushed...
And good for saying about polygamy, we should appreciate that different ppl make different choices.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.