Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » I just realized....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I just realized....
Vampyre
Neophyte
Member # 8952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vampyre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just realized that I was bi, and it is tough. My mother isn't speaking to me and I get made fun of. What can I do?

------------------
Vampyre

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scribbled
Neophyte
Member # 8849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scribbled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi and welcome to the boards.
First of all, is your mom not speaking to you as a result of finding out that you're bi?
If so, check out the posts in the glbt relationships forum about parents who are not supportive and/or in denial. Your mom may also benefit from a group such as PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) or a book such as "Straight Parents, Gay Children."
It took my mom months to adjust. Try to be patient.
About teasing, that's just something you have to deal with as long as you're a sexual minority. Remember that it stems from ignorance and prejudice, and the best thing you can do is ignore it. When appropriate, try to explain why the words and actions are hurtful. Sometimes people don't realize their language is cruel (ie the use of "gay" to mean "stupid").
What has helped me the most in adjusting to my sexuality is meeting other glbt kids. There's a post in the glbt relationships forum about meeting people, if you're interested.
The other thing you can do is simply read! I've read dozens of glbt-related books and as a result I feel so much more confident and ready to combat myths.
Good luck. Remember that you're not alone. It only gets better with time!

[This message has been edited by Scribbled (edited 07-10-2002).]

Posts: 17 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vampyre
Neophyte
Member # 8952

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Vampyre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that I've came out, everybody tries to avoid me, if I'm lucky. Some people just like to say very rude things. Any advice?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While coming out can seem overwhelmingly difficult at first it does get easier.

Odds are no one who cares about you will abandon you completely. It may take some time for them to adjust to the idea but you can help by talking to them, answering questions, giving them information, etc. Just keep the lines of communication open.

Something that may help you is to join a GLBT group in your area. Just something to give you a support system of people who understand what's going on in your life.

Check the FAQ for some other threads on coming out that may be helpful.

Good luck.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mnsouthpawjr
Activist
Member # 9384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mnsouthpawjr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's unfortunate that people including your mom have turned against you. Why they have acted that way is hard to tell.

Maybe they're homophobic. Maybe they're shocked. Maybe both.

It will take time for people to accept your sexuality. Some will accept it and some won't.

I agree that you should peers and a GLBT group to help you during this troubled time.

Posts: 73 | From: Louisville, KY USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.