Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Using certain words

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Using certain words
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Icon 5 posted      Profile for BlackRoseFaery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A while back I saw a movie that had a gay couple in it. One of the guys had a tattoo on his hand that said Fag, so my question is, what do you think of GLBT people who use words like dyke, fag, etc, to describe themselves? DO you think it's ok for GLBT people to use them, or should the words be considered offensive when they're said by anyone, no matter the sexual orientation?

------------------
Some days the line I walk, turns out to be straight.Other days the line tends to deviate. - Ani DiFranco

Posts: 88 | From: Hixson, TN, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Fag' still tends to seem a lot more offensive than 'dyke', maybe because one's been reclaimed to a much greater degree than the other. If you're queer (another reclaimed word, and one I'm quite fond of) and okay with these words, that's great, if they offend you you should avoid them, and if you're out to be offensive, well, you know where you can go. It's all down to personal preference, and remember, language does evolve.

------------------
Why can't you have your cake and eat it too?
Why believe in things that make it tough on you?
Why scream and cry when you know it's through?
Why fall in love when there's better things to do?

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackRoseFaery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only time I think the words are offensive is when people use them in a discriminating way. I was just wondering everyone else's opinion.
Posts: 88 | From: Hixson, TN, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sh!mmeR!ng*staR
Activist
Member # 6475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sh!mmeR!ng*staR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think the words are fine as long as the person using them isn't doing so to demean homosexuals or insult them in any way. i personally call myself and my friends "homos" or "dykes" all the time, and none of them are offended because they know i'm not saying it to be mean.

------------------
Prosperity that
the golden Muses
gave me was no
delusion: dead, I
won't be forgotten
-Sappho

Posts: 97 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TenohSetsuna
Activist
Member # 6092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TenohSetsuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have problems with words like "f----t", "d--e", and "n----r." Yes, I just compared all of them, and I think it's fair. Here's why.

"F----t": It originally meant a bundle of wood, kind of like kindling. But then, in the Middle Ages, when gay men were burned at the stake like kindling, the meaning was expanded as a derogatory word for gay men.

"D--e": "Dike" means, of course, a wall built to hold back water. Back to the Middle Ages, where lesbians got drowned and left in whatever body of water they'd been drowned in. As the bodies piled up, they formed a "dike," how the spelling got changed is beyond anyone, to the best of my knowledge.
Note: I have also heard some contemplation that "d--e" comes from the phrase "all diked out," a slange term from the mid-1800s meaning "all dressed up and ready to go out for a night on the town," which we would call "all decked out." The other theory I've heard is that it's from "bulldike women," who were women who dressed as men around the latter part of the 1800s and up to around the 1920s, if memory serves. [That's when the phrase applied, I realize that cross-dressing is as common as ever, heck, I'm a cross-dresser]

"N----r": Derogatory term for black people, the use of which began a long time ago, and continues today, as with the other words.

Basically, all of the words I've mentioned have been used to insult and belittle people throughout history. They carry centuries of hate with them, so to speak. I can't see the point of bringing that back.

I hold slightly differently upon words such as "queer," which were used first, I believe, by the LGB community back in the early 1900s(I'd add a T, but I'm not sure if a transgendered community existed back then. Does anyone have any information on that?). On the other hand, it's probably more practical to say that I like the word "queer" because I just like all words beginning with "q."

------------------
I don't want eternity. But Arashii is mine.

"I never said I was a boy." - Tenoh Haruka, episode 92, Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon

Posts: 102 | From: SoCal | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont feel that just because a word was used to insult people in the past, it should be instantly be banned from polite usage. "nigger" is now used by black people, particularly in rap and does not necessarily have racist connotations. Liberalism and political correctness should be about reclaiming words for good usage, not destroying them.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"D--e": "Dike" means, of course, a wall built to hold back water. Back to the Middle
Ages, where lesbians got drowned and left in whatever body of water they'd been drowned in. As the bodies piled up, they formed a "dike," how the spelling got changed is beyond anyone, to the best of my knowledge.

I've never heard that etymology before, nor do I know of any evidence that drowning in particular was used as a punishment for lesbianism in the Middle Ages. Could you give me a reference for where you read this theory? I'd be interested to know - thanks.

From what I've read, the etymology of "dyke"is apparently very obscure, and there are various theories around - some people (like the poet Judy Grahn) have argued that it might be derived from "Boudicca" (or "Boadicea"), the great woman warrior who led a rebellion against the Romans in Britain.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TenohSetsuna
Activist
Member # 6092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TenohSetsuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly, I read the stuff on drowning from either "Becoming Visible : A Reader in Gay & Lesbian History for High School & College Students" by Kevin Jennings, or in this skinny little book called "Homosexuality" by the head of some organization for LGBT youth. I'm really sorry I can't remember who wrote it. I tried to look for it in the library catalog of where I read it, but with a title like that it was rather impossible. My apologies. Honest.

"Becoming Visible" is actually a really good read, if a little simplistic at points, and I'd recommend reading it. In any event, who's Judy Grahn, and do you have any idea where I can get more information on the "Boudicca/Boadicea" theory? I love history, and I've got nothing to do with myself this summer.

------------------
I don't want eternity. But Arashii is mine.

"I never said I was a boy." - Tenoh Haruka, episode 92, Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon

Posts: 102 | From: SoCal | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reference .

Judy Grahn's a lesbian poet, writer and activist. The bit on the Boudicca theory is in her book "Another Mother Tongue: Gay Words, Gay Worlds" which is entirely about the history and etymology of words and symbols connected with lesbian and gay life (it's also part autobiography and part history of lesbian life in the 20th century). It's out of print, but it's very easy to get second-hand copies on Amazon and places like that, and it's a fantastic book - I really recommend it if you're interested in this sort of thing.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.