Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » I long for the day when ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I long for the day when ...
TheOneAndOnlySammie
Neophyte
Member # 8531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheOneAndOnlySammie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er, hi. I'm Sammie, fourteen years old, totally and openly bi. Well, that's enough of an introduction, now to the point.

I've just recently discovered this website tonight, and I've been reading through the boards for the last hour, mainly about teens confused about their sexuality, coming out to family and friends, and other related issues, ect.

Personally, I long for the day when a child will not have to tell his or her parent their sexual orientation. I long for the day when it will just be assumed that whoever a loved one is with should be loved and accepted, not on the basis of gender, but simply because they make him or her happy. I long for the day when people won't shut themselves away from others simply because of what a person has or doesn't have between their legs, or if they prefer men or women.

It is my firm belief that relationships should be based on love and affection, emotional connection and fulfillment of those needs, NOT just sex. (In both definitions of the word.) For most people, it's hard to look past that boundary of gender and orientation, to see the real person, and as a bi teen, I know the feeling of this kind of rejection better than most can imagine.

A pox on those who say that homosexuality is unnatural! There can be nothing more natural, in my mind, than love and that's what relationships are all about, aren't they? I may be young and inexperienced, but my advice to all of those that are confused is simply this:

Just get out there and love someone. A friend, a girlfriend, a boyfriend, anyone. Try to love yourself and never be ashamed of something so ridiculous as sexual preference.

Much love to all.

Posts: 3 | From: Tampa, FL, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spiritual_anorexia
Neophyte
Member # 8524

Icon 12 posted      Profile for spiritual_anorexia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....if the world thought the way you do so many of us would still be alive today....
Posts: 13 | From: Caldwell, Idaho, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Thang
Activist
Member # 5508

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Miss Thang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a wonderful world that would be! Sammie, I have to say that you are very eloquent and have extremely insightful thoughts. Maybe when you grow up, you could be a public speaker; spreading your message of acceptance to others. What you have to say is valuble. Or maybe you could write a book; or something of the like. Anyways; sorry if I come across as a bit of a creep; it's just that I really think it's important to share your insight and knowledge with others.
Posts: 211 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOneAndOnlySammie
Neophyte
Member # 8531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheOneAndOnlySammie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you don't sound like a creep, Miss Thang, and thank you for the compliments. I really would love to write a book or something of that nature, because I know that it's vital to spread a message of such incredibly importance around. Though the number is increasing with new publications to increase awareness such as MTV's movie Anatomy of a Hate Crime and Nickelodeon is putting a short segment about homosexuality on their show Nick News featuring recently out lesbian lady, Rosy O'Donell, there are still far too many who are unaccepting of gay/bi/lesbian/transgendered people and that HAS to end.
Posts: 3 | From: Tampa, FL, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shh
Activist
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a note related to the Nick show w/ Rosie, another person appearing on that show will be Mr. French, an openly gay principal from my hometown.
He has visited my school's GSA several times and is an awesome person!
Unfortunately, some parents have already pulled their students from his school as a result of his coming out :-(

Posts: 40 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ice_magick
Neophyte
Member # 7369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ice_magick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another appearance on the Nick show?? The dreaded Jerry Fallwell!

Know who I mean, the maniacal Christian rightist crackpot who blamed "feminists and gays" for the 9/11 attacks?? He told AOL Mynews that the show needs a 'discerning voice from the other side' and that it was trying to 'invade the minds of young
children, telling them that what their *gasp!* PARENTS told them and what there *gasp! gasp!* FAITH told them was (triple *gasp!*)incorrect'. I say that we put as much of our gay invaded minds as possible into getting this idiot off his little pedestal.

Posts: 34 | From: Baltimore,MD,21214 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TenohSetsuna
Activist
Member # 6092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TenohSetsuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, gods, that man scares me. When I read that quote from him I literally had to go jump in the pool to keep myself from destroying something. Has it ever occured to him that perhaps what he says is really painful(for me both physically and emotionally) to hear/read for some people? *shudder*
Posts: 102 | From: SoCal | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Has it ever occured to him that perhaps what he says is really painful(for me both physically and emotionally) to hear/read for some people?

I think that's sort of the point. Still, it seems odd that love, and kindness towards sinners(?), could go against Christ's teachings.

------------------
Why can't you have your cake and eat it too?
Why believe in things that make it tough on you?
Why scream and cry when you know it's through?
Why fall in love when there's better things to do?

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOneAndOnlySammie
Neophyte
Member # 8531

Wow, I'm literally moved to phsyical illness by this disturbing development. I'll definitely be writing a letter or e-mail to Nickelodeon about this. A maniac like that should not be let out of his house, and for the love of all that is sane, should DEFINITELY not be allowed to speak out against gays on a children's network.
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently Falwell hates the program so much that he and a right-wing pressure group have been campaigning to prevent Nickelodeon from showing it (it's scheduled to run on June 18th) - there's an article about it at:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9318-2002Jun6.html

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sh!mmeR!ng*staR
Activist
Member # 6475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sh!mmeR!ng*staR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
errrgh. i don't see what falwell's problem is. nick news is just an innocent little kid's show, i mean, come on! it's not like they're promoting homosexuality here; they're just presenting the facts! *fumes* god... that's so.. stupid.. nick news is on tonight, so i'll see if it's the "my family is different" one. *crosses fingers*

------------------
Prosperity that
the golden Muses
gave me was no
delusion: dead, I
won't be forgotten
-Sappho

Posts: 97 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.