Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Introductions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Introductions
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I volunteer at the library teen council (I was elected treasurer) and the library is a place where I'm sort of out. I told one girl and she said something about it while another girl was within hearing range and now it's sort of got around. The tricky part is that now (and this annoys the heck out of me) I get introduced something like this:

"Oh, that's the treasurer, he's gay."

And while I wouldn't mind if this was vital information, I do because it's not. I don't even want other people outing me to strangers, much less within the first sentence.

What do I do? What do/would you do?

------------------
I am not who I appear to be.

Gaffer--from under the moon backstage

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd suggest saying something like "Y'know, my sexual orientation really doesn't have anything to do with my duties here, so I'd appreciate it if you'd stop appending it to my name every time I'm introduced."

If they continue to do it even after you ask them to stop, I'd be inclined to come back with something like "And this is Mary, she's straight." In other words, a slightly humorous way of pointing out just how irrelevant it is.

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Sexpert

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform."
-- Alfred Kinsey

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And this is Mary, she's straight." I love that.

Honestly, it really bothers me how sexual orientation is blown so out of perportion in how important it is, and in what aspects of life it relates to. It honestly, isn't that big of a deal and doesn't affect your day-to-day life... unless, of course, your day-to-day life involves a lot of sex or seeking sex.... wait a minute? What was my point again?

Oh, that's right. I understand where you're coming from completly, Gaff, and it irritates the hell out of me, too. It's like, if your x, then suddenly, you're under a microscope because nobody's ever met someone who just happens to be x. Ugh. It's frustrating.

------------------
Tim
Can You Read Further?

"Take sex for example. There's nothing funnier than the faces you people make mid-coitus." -- Metatron (Dogma)

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a show recently in ireland there was war because on the show they had contestants(it was like survivor) and when they first came up it was written their name and some other information e.g. John Murphy, Taxi Driver, Susan McCarthy, Teacher etc. Well, one guy came up and it was like(I can't remember his name but lets call him Pete) Pete o Rourke, Gay. There was war!!!! My mam nearly choked when it came up and she wouldn't be a gay rights activist or anything, it was just the cheek of saying something as stupid as that!
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.