Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » how to explain my sexuality for an online dating profile

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how to explain my sexuality for an online dating profile
JollyHolly
Neophyte
Member # 93955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JollyHolly         Edit/Delete Post 
First off, I just want to say that I love this website. I've been lurking quietly for a long time, absorbing all of the awesomely intelligent sexual info here. But today I finally registered for an account here, because I have a question that requires an open-minded audience, and this is definitely the best place to go for that!

I've been on break from dating for about a year because I was confused about who exactly I'm attracted to and what exactly I want out of relationships. (For the record, I'm a cis-gendered female.) I think that romantically, I'm pansexual (panromantic?) -- I have the potential to dig everyone! But sexually, I'm really not into penises, even though I may be attracted to someone who has a penis.

I've been referring to myself as "queer", because that's the most accurate one-word description that I'm comfortable with. But I'm trying to fill out a profile for a dating website, and I'm not sure how to best describe what I'm looking for. I guess I'm struggling to find a balance between oversharing and accidentally leading someone on.

Here's my situation:
- I'm interested in going on dates with members of all genders.
- I'm comfortable with romantic physicality (not sex) with members of all genders. (Holding hands, kissing, above-the-waist makeouts, basically anything that doesn't involve genitals.)
- I'm not interested in sex where I'm in direct contact with a penis. (No blowjobs or handjobs or penile pentration.)

I know that sexuality is fluid, and my disinterest in penises might be something that changes in the future. And I'm fine with using the term "queer" to describe myself right now. But I have no idea how to handle my dating profile. I don't know if getting all in-depth about this stuff in my profile is appropriate, and if it is I don't know the best way to state it. (Honestly, I'm not even sure if anything I said in this post is offensive. If it is, I truly apologize! And please let me know so I can educate myself!) I don't even know whether to describe myself as "bisexual" or "gay"! (Those are the only options on this site, besides "straight".)

If anyone has any suggestions, I would LOVE to hear them. Thank you!

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it seems to me that going into a lot of depth about what kind of sex you do and don't want to have isn't at all needed in an online dating profile unless someone is specifically only looking for a sexual interaction right from the start (as in, using online dating to cruise) or we're talking about something like a fetish site.

Otherwise, there's no need for a dating profile to tell someone absolutely everything there is to know about you. An online profile is about general ideas, with then getting to know someone being the place where you get more specific as you go and fee comfortable. It's not like, say, an online shopping site where someone is buying something, after all.

That said, it's pretty safe to say that the majority of people with a penis, if they're going to have a sexual relationship, will usually want to have it involved. So, what it sounds like to me is that if you're going to accept the kind of dates where things would progress fast sexually, you perhaps only want to seek out cisgender women or transguys.

With the limited orientation choices, besides sending a letter to the site suggesting they have an open field (just because...well, come on already, right?), I'd say bisexual sounds best, but in an open field, you could also specify and use the language you prefer.

(Thanks for the lovely compliments!)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.