Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » I don't know...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I don't know...
james030
Neophyte
Member # 50999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for james030     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I'm a gay and I've known this for quite awhile now. I've grown up in a very GLBT accepting community, but I've never really had any relationships. I'm not "out", mostly because I think that it's not really many people's business who I'd like to have sex with. I have five supportive friends who I've told about my orientation and they have been very kind. One of my friends, the one I'm closest with, sometimes asks me about "coming out" and being more open with people about my sexuality, but I'm really resistant to the idea. I'm a very private person and it just doesn't seem like my style. I think if I was in a meaningful relationship, I wouldn't hide it from people I care about but that doesn't mean I want to explicitly tell all my family and friends I'm gay. Does that make me in denial or ashamed of myself? It just seems like it's more personal than that. I've only had sexual relations with two men and not for long periods of time. Don't get me wrong, I'm on the look out for other gay men because I wouldn't mind a relationship and I know my desire for privacy probably prevents me from meeting people. If someone asked me flat out if I was gay, I think I'd say yes, but it has never happened. I'm 18 and I just started college; isn't my sexuality my business and very few others?

Sorry, I know this is long and doesn't directly pose a question. Just some thoughts on the matter would be nice.

Posts: 1 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not everyone wants to be as out as someone else, and not everyone wants to be out to as few people as someone else.

I don't hear you voicing anything that sounds like shame or denial to me. What I hear you saying is that you've told the people you have wanted to tell, and that, as a very private person in general, you don't feel comfortable being out to a very wide net. I think that's just fine: you seem to be in touch with what you're most comfortable with as an individual, and are acting in alignment with that, and that's what matters.

Your friend may need a gentle reminder that you aren't the same people, and what works for them and feels right for them may not for you, not because one of you is ashamed and the other isn't, but because, for you, the level to which you're out feels just right. A good friend should be supportive of that.

I don't think anyone needs to justify how few or how many people they're out to. I certainly think there are situations where not being out can be problematic and, unfortunately, situations where being out can be, but ultimately, this comes down to what any one given person wants, finds feels right for them, and can handle at a given time.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.