Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » i was jw

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: i was jw
spoken77
Neophyte
Member # 48874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spoken77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not gay nor ever had a desire to be or try anything with a guy. But i was jw why most ppl think two women together is "hot" and okay but a lot of ppl get a worse image of two guys together??
Posts: 23 | From: california | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Part of it is because of irrational fears about anal sex, I'm not talking about not wanting to do it oneself, I'm talking about believing it's so innately unsanitary that gay men are in some way unclean (even though straight couples often engage in it, and not all gay men do it, and you can use condoms, and clean up afterwards), or that it will always lead to HIV/AIDS.

Another part of it is because the majority of the images of who and what is desireable that we see are based on what straight men find desireable - at least supposedly, it's more accurate to say it's what straight men are presumed/expected to find desireable. There are certainly a lot of women (I would guess mostly straight or bi women), who find the thought of two men together arousing, as is evidenced by the huge amount of slash/yaoi/BL ship fan-fiction on the internet. And gay and bi men are (for the most part, I'm aware there are asexual people who have a romantic orientation) sexually attracted to other men, and most will have some interest in having partnered sex with other men at some point in their lives, as with those of all orientations and the gender/s they are attracted to, though there's the unfortunate factor of internalised homophobia in some cases. I would argue that there are men who do not actually have a lack of homophobia towards lesbians, but are just aroused by the thought of two women putting on a show for them, and only if they're conventionally attractive (young, thin, etc). Though some of it is just that even if a straight man has no homophobia and just likes to watch women having sex because he is attracted to them and wants to see them experiencing sexual pleasure, then his desire will be assumed to fit with the aforementioned homophobic and misogynistic narratives, with others taking lack of interest in men sexually to be feelings of repulsion because there are men who do think that way and are very vocal about it and it mixes in with the huge amount of homophobia still present in society in general.

Honestly, this post has become very rambly, but I hope it more or less made sense.

[ 09-15-2010, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spoken77
Neophyte
Member # 48874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spoken77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank u for that [Smile] i was jw cuz a lot of my friends always say how "hot" it is seeing grls at my school making out but when guys do it they make fun of them.
Posts: 23 | From: california | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.