Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Crush on a teacher

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Crush on a teacher
DSONFan101
Neophyte
Member # 40851

Icon 9 posted      Profile for DSONFan101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My History teacher is kind of new to teaching. She's 24 and I'm almost 16 (i'm a girl). just recently, i've been thinking about her a lot. about a month ago, it dawned on me: i have a crush on my history teacher. the only 2 people i told were my two friends. their reactions were very different. one thought that it was perfectly normal, and she is the one i've been telling everything to lately. the other friend ended up making fun of me when i told her. see, my teacher isn't someone that you would find attractive at first glance. you really just have to look at her and talk to her.

but i digress.

so, lately, i've been staying later in class because i have her right before lunch, so i have nowhere to be, really. and i've been coming up with these questions as an excuse to just talk to her. i'd stay and ask stuff like "what was college like in the salem witch trial days?" and just weird things like that.

so, much more recently, i haven't been able to stop thinking about her. when i wake up, she's usually the first thing i think about, and i usually get really sad. but then i walk into her classroom, see her, and suddenly, i can't stop smiling.

could i be falling for her? and how can i stop it?

--------------------
We've all got our junk
and my junk is you.

Posts: 15 | From: Bay Area, California | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PenguinBoy
Activist
Member # 28394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenguinBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Pisces gurl!

quote:
could i be falling for her?
I think to really "fall for" some you have to know them. Teachers are a very common crush, part of this could be because of the authority or even the security of knowing it CAN'T be realised, but also teachers are in a position where they have to be self-conscious; it's their job to appear a certain way and for that reason pupils will usually only know a very small part of who their teachers really are, and only in a very controlled context. That makes falling for the complete her, very unlikely, because you don't know her anywhere near completely.

quote:
and how can i stop it?
The first step is wanting to but in asking that question it implies you're already there, so that's good. What's also important is to truly face up to the fact that this can't go anywhere. The crush comes from very understandable causes but in your head it's a lot easier than it'd ever be in real life. Your teacher is someone who is outside of all your social circles, so quite often a crush like this can just be an escape or a distraction from the rest of your life. But it's not sustainable and trying to reengage with the rest of your life is important.

Refocusing your thoughts or time onto your own friends, hobbies and school work, I think, is the best way to admit what your relationship with her really equates to: a student/teacher one. That way you can get on with your life and enjoy it with people who you can get to know better, and interact with and grow with.

[ 10-29-2008, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: PenguinBoy ]

--------------------
Jacob - my Scarleteen Blog - Please help sustain scarleteen

Posts: 633 | From: Bedfordshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too? When crushes are not returned, they tend to fizzle away in time pretty easily. Especially once you get to a point in your life where you have feelings for people who you will pursue relationships with who do share and return your feelings. Hero worship generally just doesn't hold a candle to mutual, reciprocal interest.

Unless your teacher just is without scruples or doesn't value her job and also prefers dating teens to people her own age (unlikely), she's not likely to return your affections, so time in and of itself may take care of this.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68261 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.