Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Confused about my friend?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Confused about my friend?
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this is in the right section - basically, my very good friend, who is a lesbian, was saying to me yesterday that the reason she's lesbian is that she's scared of men in general - including, on a very basic level, me, even though she says she knows there's no way I'd hurt her. She was saying really the idea of being around someone physically stronger than her was what scared her.
Now, as neither a woman nor a lesbian, it's difficult for me to understand that, as I hope you appreciate. We're going to talk it out at a better time (we weren't alone), but I was wondering if any women here could lend their opinions. Is feeling like that a pretty shared, common experience for you guys? I'd be grateful for any advice you could give me.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PenguinBoy
Activist
Member # 28394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PenguinBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also neither being a lesbian nor a woman I can't profess to speak on their behalf. But something general about all people is that we're all different.

Most people I know who ID as lesbian, aren't scared of men in any way at all, they just aren't sexually attracted them. And I also know plenty of men and women for whom, the women are physically stronger.

Men do have a pretty unfair upper hand however, socially. It's more than understandable how that'd make someone feel threatened, but it usually wouldn't change their sexuality (though it can cause problems in a lot of relationships).

--------------------
Jacob - my Scarleteen Blog - Please help sustain scarleteen

Posts: 633 | From: Bedfordshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd also have to look at where she is getting that fear from. Sometimes victims of abuse or rape can have a fear of other people of the same sex as their abuser/attacker, or of people that they notice sharing similarities with their abuser/attacker, especially if they have not yet worked through their abuse or rape. Just as you would have a fear of lions if one of them attacked you, or maybe even a fear of tigers, panthers, leopards, etc. If this is the case, then we could help you to find some resources for your friend if she has not yet had some counseling for it and desires counseling.

Of course, there could be other reasons for that fear, but not knowing her myself, I can't really say why she might have that fear.

[ 08-16-2008, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: orca ]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.