Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » I'm worried about my friend...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm worried about my friend...
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Long story short, my friend, J, is lesbian. In secret though.
Anyway, I suspected when she said she was in a relationship but wouldn't tell me who with, and kept referring to them as 'them' rather than 'him' (and being very careful about that), and on seeing the sheer number of photos of her with with a girl named R on her myspace (innocuous if you knew no background, at the most just kissing cheeks), that she was going out with R. Although when I mentioned if it was her she laughed it off.
I've since found out from another friend that J has decided she's lesbian in the last month or so (although my other friend wasn't supposed to know). So I'm wondering why, although J seems very comfortable with being lesbian, she can imply it to a close friend but not feel the confidence to actually say, 'I'm lesbian', even though it's in strict confidence.
And it's not as if she's just experimenting: next year, they plan to move in together (ie when everyone leaves for university).
I'm just worried that maybe she's still a bit hung up over it, so I was wondering what some of you guys who have been through the 'coming out' process might think.

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SpiralBound
Neophyte
Member # 33566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SpiralBound     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you say J has "decided she's lesbian," does that mean that J said "I'm a lesbian" or that she's decided that she's primarily interested in dating women? If she hasn't chosen to call herself a lesbian, it's possible that she simply doesn't prefer to identify herself with that label. From my experience, it's possible to be very confident and comfortable with being a woman who's in a relationship with a woman and still not choose to use the label lesbian...

Are there other reasons that you're worried about your friend? From what you're describing, she sounds fine to me, just like she's taking her own sweet time deciding what to call herself and who to talk to about her relationships.

Posts: 5 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mean she doesn't have the confidence to say, 'I'm in a relationship with another girl'. I didn't mean to binary-ist there. Sorry [Smile]

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sakura Sky
Neophyte
Member # 35575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sakura Sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't come out until this year, when I was 23 and almost done with college. Some people don't come out until they're 40 and have been married/divorce with kids.

Everyone comes out at their own time. You have to remember that some people, no matter what their age, may still be trying to figure their identity out for themselves much less anyone else, as sexuality can be a fluid thing, as Mz. Heather says.

As a lesbian, my advice to you would be to simply say "Hey, I just want you to know whether you are or aren't a lesbian, I love you and support you either way, and if you ever want to talk about it with someone you can trust, if you ever need an ally, I'm here." And leave it at that.

An open door is wonderful, but don't push her through it.

Posts: 15 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.