Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » GSA?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GSA?
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So. Now that I'm in high school, I have the opprotunity to join my school's GSA. Of course I'm going to join, no question there, though the club fair isn't until September and clubs don't start up until then. However, I was wondering what to expect. I mean, what do you actually do at meetings? I understand that there's almost certainly variation from school to school, but if anyone here could give at least a little insight it'd be very welcome.

(P.S. I wasn't quite sure where to put this, hopefully a mod will move it for me if it's in the wrong place.)

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was never a regular member of the GSA at my school, but I did go to a few meetings and had friends who were involved.

Most of the meetings were discussing current GLBT issues and also discussing how to best handle prejudice, discrimination and bullying and what can be done toward stopping it or spreading information so people are more accepting of the GLBT community.

The club also orginized events in the school related to acceptance (like orginizing a school-wide "day of silence" and one year they sponsored the Albuquerque Gay Men's Choir singing during lunch).

You may be surprised to of the great diveristy amongst members, ot's really great to see. [Smile] For example, one of the head members of the GSA at my school was a girl in my grade who was also a very active Christian, many of the members identified just as heterosexal, a couple of members reported that they had parents who would strongly diapproce of them being in the club, etc.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catalinacisne
Activist
Member # 27839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catalinacisne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My high school's GSA spent about two years organizing the Day of Silence, and raising money by sending candygrams for every holiday imagineable. Once they had enough money, they were able to sponser NCBI training for the sophomore and junior classes, and compelled the school district to provide that training for every incoming class from here on out.

ncbi web-site:http://www.ncbi.org/home/index.cfm

--------------------
amawesome - (adj.) a combination of 'amazing' and 'awesome,' usually by someone who has tied on a few too many. Ex: No, dude, listen! I like, luv ya man! I mean, you're like, amawesome!

Posts: 65 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I have a question about GSA. I'm pretty sure my school has one, but the only person I knew in it changed schools, so I don't know who the faculty advisor is or where/when they meet or anything. I'm not out to anyone at my school, so how do I find these answers? Talk to my counselor, maybe?

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"
"But she's our witch. Cut her down."

Posts: 174 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, your counselor should know who orginizes the GSA meetings and when and where they're held. [Smile]

(And alos, just remember that a lot of people who consider themselves to be heterosexual attend the GSA, so if you're not ready to come out to anyone yet, there's no reaosn that by joining the GSA you'd be making any sort of "admission" about anything [Smile] but by joining, you may find some great support and friendly faces to help you be more comfortable with coming out to your peers!)

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sooo... A bit of an update:

Our first meeting is this week, and I'm super-excited. I hear from the president that we're running a marriage booth at homecoming, like there was last year, which should be a lot of fun. Also, I think that we're going to team up with the drama department and put on a play about the murder of a homosexual boy in Iowa (I think...), which ought to be awesome as well. In any case, I appreciate all you guys' input. Thanks bunches!

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.