Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » member of the club

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: member of the club
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just came out to my oldest and truest friend, Erika, a few days ago while we were IMing each other. She was a little surprised, but it wasn't a huge problem because she came out as bi a few years ago. She kinda knows where I'm coming from.
Since we both do know a lot of queer girls (and be fair, guys too,) that go to South High School (I go to North, darnit) she told me some of the nicest words I've ever heard... "Welcome to the club."

me: "We should make membership cards."

Erika:"Really? That would be cool!"

So, after a bit of discussion, we decided that I would really design some membership cards. (Me, because I have cool things like Publisher and DSL internet and a laser printer.) Anybody else every done this before? Ideas/suggestions?

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"
"But she's our witch. Cut her down."

Posts: 174 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catalinacisne
Activist
Member # 27839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catalinacisne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I told one of my friends I was bi almost two years ago, but I didn't have a girlfriend until six months ago. So when I told her I finally had a girlfriend, she photoshopped me a backstage pass-style card that said: "Official Bisexual. Caitlin is really bi (for real)." I laugh at if whenever I look at the file on my computer.

As for actual serious cards, I would make them all-inclusive (so that anyone who identified as something other than straight would feel welcome)... Just be warned that you might get some flak from other people for 'alienating' yourselves, and that some non-straight people would detest carrying a card saying they're different from other people. Plus there's the whole 'Jewish people had to wear a yellow star during the Holocaust' arguement that could be mapped onto 'now all gay people have to carry cards warning everyone else' which could be bad. I personally would not carry a card around in my wallet saying I was bi unless it was an inside joke among two or three other friends.

But if you think it will be well-received, go for it.

--------------------
amawesome - (adj.) a combination of 'amazing' and 'awesome,' usually by someone who has tied on a few too many. Ex: No, dude, listen! I like, luv ya man! I mean, you're like, amawesome!

Posts: 65 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I was planning on it just being the three of us. Thanks for the warning; I hadn't thought of that.

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"

Posts: 174 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

The three of us being Erika, her girlfriend and I.

[ 07-18-2006, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: not_a_hobgoblin ]

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"

catalinacisne
Activist
Member # 27839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catalinacisne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, okay, gotcha. When I first read it I thought you were going to make cards for everyone you knew at SOuth High School who wasn't straight.

--------------------
amawesome - (adj.) a combination of 'amazing' and 'awesome,' usually by someone who has tied on a few too many. Ex: No, dude, listen! I like, luv ya man! I mean, you're like, amawesome!

Posts: 65 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Nope. It's the Terre Haute High Schools Bi Society, now. Only I misspelled "member," so now we have pretty cards detailing how we are called to protect, defend, and tease each other with the word "MEMEBER" in giant letters in the middle. So, yeah, gotta reprint those.

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.