Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » just one person...worth coming out?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: just one person...worth coming out?
drivemycar
Neophyte
Member # 27371

Icon 5 posted      Profile for drivemycar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a girl, 95% straight, 5% gay. or bi, or whatever that mysterious 5% is.

anyway, in that 5%, i have fallen head over heels in love with another girl and we've had a few moments together... i can imagine myself having a great relationship with her at this point in my life, but in general i am attracted to men and i see myself settling down and marrying a man. i just can't decide whether it's worth making a big thing about having a lesbian relationship, or whether to just keep my lesbian parts quiet. i'm actually not attracted to a single other girl...just her.

aaaargh it's hardly worth all the upheaval of telling my mom i'm going out with another girl. not that she'd mind, but it would send out the wrong messages about myself in general.
my sexuality is soo confused!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to tell your mom, by all means do so. You don't have to tell her you're a lesbian or anything though. You can just say something along the lines of "I'm in love with this really great girl. This doesn't mean I'm not attracted to guys anymore or that I'm attracted to all girls. I just like her a lot and want to be with her." And if you don't feel ready to tell your mom yet, don't feel like you have to. While things may seem confusing right now, trust me, they're really a lot less complicated than you think they are. You really don't need to label yourself as straight, bisexual, lesbian, or anything else. You can just be you.
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ikeren
Activist
Member # 26880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ikeren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been telling a friend "You can be straight and just have a couple people you'll make exceptions for, you know? Nothing wrong with that."

And I'd say that is probably the way I think of myself, and if you uncomfortable with being either homosexual or bisexual, it is the best way to think of it all together - being straight with the ocasional exception. There are guys that I would make exceptions for...

--------------------
19, male, interested in Sadomasochism (BDSM) and some bisexual tendancies.

Posts: 157 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drivemycar
Neophyte
Member # 27371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for drivemycar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not at aaall uncomfortable with being gay or bi. I'd be happy to be either - I just don't think i am. i basically think of myself as straight but the person i am in love with happens to be the same sex as me. i just think it'll be confusing for everyone else if i'm going out with a girl, but i say i'm straight. it's probably more confusing for other people than it is for me, and TRUST ME that's saying something cos i'm sooooo confused. people ask me questions all the time about my sexuality and i'd be happy to reply....if only i had the answer. it just makes me look like i'm covering something up but actually i have nothing to hide - i'm perfectly open about my feelings for this girl. oh, and now it's starting to put guys off....

vicious circle!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
i just think it'll be confusing for everyone else if i'm going out with a girl, but i say i'm straight.
Hun, what everyone else thinks about this really doesn't matter at all. If you're looking for a label simply so you can make it easier for people to get where you're coming from, don't bother. 'Cause see, if ya slap on a label now, it might not stick anymore in a year or two and then you'll feel compelled to backpedal.

I ID as lesbian. I've been dating a guy for two years. So what do I do? I let people assume whatever the hell they want to assume. Oh, and if someone asks straight out, you can always tell them that you are interested in people, not what's between their legs.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9186 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.