Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Straight friends... is it possible?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Straight friends... is it possible?
thellife
Neophyte
Member # 26132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thellife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this friend since like 3rd grade, and we had always been so close. I actually used to think she liked me cuz she'd get jealous when I'd date someone or hang out with other friends.
When I came out to her (as a lesbian) everything changed. We don't hang around as much now cuz she's afraid other people will think she's gay. I've talked to her about it, she always made homophobic comments to me and it made me uncomfortable, I asked her if she had ever wondered if she was gay or bi. She said she believed she was bi but she decided she had to be straight.
It's not that I mind that she's straight, it's just she seems to force it. Ever since I came out to her she seems to think she has to talk about guys. When she hangs out at my house by mother and sister have to tell her to "calm down" when it comes to the comments she makes about guys. It's not that I mind, it's just she never once mentioned, or gave any interest to guys, before I told her I was gay. I wonder if the only reason she talks about guys around me is because she feels like she has to. And she still acts very homophobic, again I wonder if that's her way of trying to make herself feel "straight".
Does anyone have any advise as to what I should do? Should I try talking to her again, or just back off of the friendship?

------------------
Sexuality is a fluid. Whether you're gay, straight, or bisexual, just go with the flow!

Posts: 5 | From: Bad Axe, Michigan, United States | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can be very hard to persuade someone who isn't comfortable with homosexuality that it is OK or acceptable to be. Many people have mindsets based on their upbringing or environment that homosexuality is wrong or dirty. Is is possible that your friend has had these influences?

Sounds like your friend is a little confused herself. She may be contemplating her sexual orientation, she may not. She may also be uncomfortable with you being gay (which it sounds like she is) and trying to ground herself by making comments like she is.

If these comments make you uncomfortable around her, than yes, you should approach her and question why she is making said comments. But I'd be careful. Accepting or deciding on orientation (their own and others) is a lot harder for some people. For you it sounds like it was a rather easy and positive change, and if she is contemplating this herself, it may feel scary and overwhelming, as it often can.

Don't be too hard on your friend. It sounds more like she is commenting for her own support rather than to hurt you.

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.