Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Pride!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pride!
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a reminder for those going to their cities Pride festivities this month: bring along some Scarleteen fliers!
http://www.scarleteen.com/flyer/index.html

Just print'em out, get some copies made. It's a tiny expense, but something easy as pie to do while you're jetting around having fun.

And do have fun!

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68208 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey folks, when I lived in the Bay Area (which was up till about 2 weeks ago), I'd flyer for ST at SF Gay Pride, and lemme tell ya, it is a HOOT! Awesome party! Too bad, it'll never catch on with the rednecks where I am now

------------------
mundi faece repletum

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a Pride event, but is it okay if I print some of these out for the local youth shelters I speak at sometimes? I know they'd really appreciate it, especially since some of them have internet access now.
Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by all means, go for it, jane.

------------------
mundi faece repletum

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fly_little_wing
Activist
Member # 8684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fly_little_wing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sniff* I couldn't go to Pride. My family decided to plan its annual cottage get-together on the Pride weekend for the second year in a row.

------------------
And now she's walking through the clouds with a circus mind that's running wild. ~ Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams and fairytales. ~ All she ever thinks about is riding with the wind. ~ When I'm sad she comes to me. ~ With a thousand smiles she gives to me, free. ~ 'It's alright, it's alright' she says. 'Take anything you want from me. Anything.'

Posts: 41 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blondie17
Activist
Member # 12155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blondie17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont wanna come off sounding like a b*tch here and i am NOT homophobic in anyway. In my opinion this whole "pride" festival isnt really necessary. i mean ya its a great excuse to party and all and im not complaining but when homosexuals make this huge deal because they're "oppressed" and not "accepted" it pisses me off. like i dont kno one person who has a problem w/ gays/lesbians. If it feels right do it by all means, but last time i checked we dont have tons of straight festivals to celebrate that. since homosexuality is pretty widely accepted as a choice nowadays i dont believe they deserve special priveleges above anyone else who may be just as great a person just straight. it is similar to the whole white vs black thing. now i am NOT racist at all! i love their culture, i have best friends who are but they get special privelages because they have a different colour skin! now i love BET but if we had a WET it'd b considered racist so y isnt like that the other way around. I bet there are more successful and wealthy black north americans than many other races now so stop w/ the whole "oppressed" thing already.... sorry.. im gonna stop ranting. I treat everyone who i wish to be treated and i expect to be given the same chances as anyone else in life to. i hope we could just realise this and move on. and if they r still people out there who think anyone type of person is wrong... WAKE UP! all of these people and their lifestyles have been around for thousands of years, we just talk about it now so dont act so suprised :P

------------------
~BlOnDiE~

Posts: 60 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
when homosexuals make this huge deal because they're "oppressed" and not "accepted" it pisses me off. like i dont kno one person who has a problem w/ gays/lesbians.

So not being allowed to marry, risking being violently assaulted if you hold hands on the street, being discriminated against in employment and housing, etc. - those would just be minor details, huh? The kids who get beaten up at school and kicked out of their homes when they come out - they don't really exist, right?

Maybe you don't know anyone who has a problem with lesbians and gay people - but in that case, you are very far from typical. You need to be aware that gay, lesbian and bisexual people are discriminated against and oppressed. Fact.

And nobody's asking for "special privileges" - just the basic human rights that heterosexuals take for granted: the right to marry and have a family, the right to have a private life, the right to a job and a home, etc.

quote:
bet there are more successful and wealthy black north americans than many other races now so stop w/ the whole "oppressed" thing already....

Actually, African-Americans are still disproportionately poor and discriminated against. And I suggest you do a spot of research on the civil rights movement and Jim Crow laws: segregation and disenfranchisement aren't some sort of ancient history, they were still in place in the US within living memory. Oppression doesn't vanish overnight, and there are plenty of people around who grew up in places where black and white people weren't even allowed to drink from the same water fountains.

Frankly, saying that black people should "stop with the whole 'oppressed' thing already" is a bit like saying that Jewish people should "stop with the whole Holocaust thing already".

You keep on saying that you're not homophobic, but you're "pissed off" that people are daring to talk about oppression and demand equal rights. So you might want to think about why this all bothers you so much.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's nice, blondie. And I say that while gritting my teeth.

However, I know a lot of people who DO have a problem. Like, for instance, the people in my own federal government who are literally trying, right now, to amend the connstitution to make sure that those of us who are queer do NOT have the equal rights everyone else does.

So, whether it seems so or not in your small corner of the universe, GLBT folks are an oppressed people, if by nothing else, by virtue of the fact that we do not have the same human rights legally (jin the US and many other countries) that people who are NOT queer do. That is the literal defintion of social oppression.

I'm going to put some snippets of history in here for you from a recent piece I did on why Pride festivals and activites ARE needed (it is lengthy):

1600's: A soldier in Montreal charged with sodomy, "the worst of crimes," is commuted from his sentence on the condition that he become New France's first executioner (nice: your punishment for being queer is that you get to be a federally-sanctioned murderer). In the US settlement at Plymouth, two married young women are charged with "lewd behavior... upon a bed," and the elder of the two is required to acknowledge publicly her unchaste behavior and receives a warning that "if there are any subsequent carriages, her punishment will be greater." In New Netherland, a man is executed by drowning for sodomy. Geneva official Pierre Canal, arrested for high treason and attempted homicide, confesses under torture to being a homosexual and implicates more than twenty other men. Canal is broken on the wheel for treason, and burned for sodomy. Three more of the men he named are drowned as well. Sodomy is included in the US colonies laws as a capital crime.

1700's: The Dutch Sodomite Massacre, in which at least 24 boys were executed; English and French persecution of gay men result in over 600 executed. Deborah Sampson, a descendent of Gov. William Bradford, is excommunicated from her church for “dressing in men's clothes” and for behaving “very loose and unchristian like." The Manchu Qing government enacts a male rape law and for the first time in Chinese history outlaws sodomy between consenting males.

1800's: The last known execution for sodomy in the Netherlands was in the early 1800's, while In England, there are more executions for sodomy than for murder during this time. "Gross indecency" - any sexual touching between men - is made illegal in England, but Leaves of Grass is published, capital punishment for sodomy is removed within the States, and in 1896, "for the first time on the American stage, two women hug and kiss in a scene of the play A Florida Enchantment. Though the play is not lesbian in content, the scene is so controversial that at intermission, ushers offer ice water to any audience member who feels faint."

1900's: Emma Goldman lectures on homosexuality during her speaking tour of the US, Havelock Ellis and Edward Carpenter found the British Society for the Study of Sex Psychology, emphasizing an educational approach, and with a special homosexual subcommittee, and the state of Illinois founds the Society for Human Rights, dedicated to "promote and protect the interests" of people who, because of "mental and physical abnormalities" are hindered in the pursuit of happiness (the first attempt to found a homosexual rights organization in the US). Ar the same time, Hollywood studios' Motion Picture Production Code prohibits all references to homosexuality in the movies, the U.S. military issues official prohibition against homosexuals in the armed forces, the American Psychiatric Association adds homosexuality to its list of mental disorders, and -- very discordant to the stance of the ACLU now -- the ACLU adopts a national policy statement that sustains the constitutionality of state sodomy laws and federal security regulations denying employment to gay men and lesbians, but reverses the policy in 1964.

As well, in 1970, the American Psychiatric Association decides that homosexuality should no longer be classified as a mental disorder. In 1971, NOW finally decides to let lesbians in (and not shortly after, Rita Mae Brown's -- who was one of the dykes kept at the gates by NOW -- Rubyfruit Jungle is published). In the 80's, the San Francisco Health Department closes fourteen gay bathhouses after investigators uncover high-risk sexual behavior in them (imagine how many cheap motels and high schools one would have to do same to to try and limit the high-risk behaviour of straights), but Delta Airlines apologizes for arguing in plane crash litigation that it should pay less in compensation for the life a gay passenger than for a heterosexual one because he may have had AIDS, and the Minnesota Court of Appeals awards guardianship of Sharon Kowalski, a lesbian severely injured in a car crash, to her lover, Karen Thompson, over the objections of Kowalski's parents. In the 90's to now, we saw major corporations adding partner benefits, the WHO removing homosexuality from its list of diseases (that was only ten years ago), the Clinton administration amending military policy in regard to homosexuality (not great, but hey, better), gay marriage rights added to some states and countries, the overturning of the Sodomy law in Texas last week, and hate crimes legislation introduced, and yet we also saw a bill that would have banned employment discrimination against gay men and lesbians defeated, and Clinton signing the defense of marriage act. And we all see entirely too much of Fred Phelps and his ilk.

The long and the short of all that ? We've come a long way, but we've still got a long way to go. Something like Pride lets all of us bring issues like this to light, lets us fuse the personal and the political, but lets us also have a day or two where we can publicly enjoy and express all the simple -- and sometimes hard-won or not-won-yet -- joys of your sexual and personal lives. It lets us remember and celebrate that a lot of us are lucky as hell to be able to do that -- even if it should be more than luck, but our right -- no matter our orientation, sexual or gender identity. It enables us to banish shame and have some pride. Pride, as a word, is the literal opposite of shame. The reason we don't see 'straight pride" festivals is that no one is, nor has EVER, shamed, through actions, laws, the works, heterosexual people simply for being heterosexual. That histopy listed above? You won't see ANYTHING like it for heterosexuals, anywhere. In short, the culture we live in already has heterosexual pride every day of the year.

We don't want "special privledges." We want the same *rights* and privledges straight people have. Like the right not be be discriminated against in our workplaces because of the gender of who we're datuing. Like the right to legally marry. Like the right to have lifelong partners included on our health insurance. Like the right not to be assaulted on the street for holding our date's hand.

As well, African-Amercians had to fight long and hard to get civil rights in place (and not alone -- my father, with many, many others worked hard within the Civil Rights Movement in the 60's, and got beaten more than once by our own police for doing so nonviolently), and even with that done, it's still not really applied in full as it should be. It should also be mentioned that many african-americans have the same "culture" you do. They are not getting "special privledges" because of their color, and if you think that most african-americans in this country are doing better financially than most whites, you're making clear that you are incredibly uneducated when it comes to socioeconomics, in the US and in Canada, and certainly globally.

So, you know what? What you're saying is beyond patently offensive, all around. It's flagrantly uninformed and insular and tokenist. Before you start talking about who is oppressed and who isn't again, I'd sincerely suggest you do some study and research on the matter, starting perhaps with understanding what oppression IS in the first place, something you clearly haven't a handle on. Paolo Friere's "The Pedagogy of the Oppressed," might be a good place to start.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 07-18-2003).]

Posts: 68208 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreamBaBy
Activist
Member # 12710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dreamBaBy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in Canada and im bisexual. I am discriminated against at work because I am bi. I was also harrassed at school before i started fighting back and threatening action from administration. In Ontario, they have legalized same-sex marriages. The federal government is trying to legalize it nationally now, to much debate. Some of this conflict comes from the premier of Alberta, Ralph Klein.(from my P.O.V. he has done not much but embarress Albertans with a slightly redneck and egocentric attitude).

And you are trying to tell us,blondie, that we have not been oppressed and that we demand special treatment and such? I have been oppressed much more than a 15 year old should be, because as you said

quote:
homosexuality is pretty widely accepted as a choice nowadays

(note the sarcams in my above writing)

I just want to be treated just like my straight friends by everybody

------------------
¤dreamBaBy¤

"Who I am is who I want to be" -Reba MacIntyre

Posts: 93 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blondie17
Activist
Member # 12155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blondie17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry i didnt mean to offend anyone. I guess i was naive and assumed that overall it was more accepted nowadays. I know in my community and many around me all cultures and lifestyles are widely accepted and celebrated. i guess i wish more communities were respectful of people's differences didnt judge on those differences. I believe that everyone is created equally and being of a different race or sexual preference does not make you a lesser individual. again i apologize for the way i sounded in that last post.

------------------
~BlOnDiE~

Posts: 60 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovemeleaveme
Neophyte
Member # 13490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovemeleaveme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
blondie17:
I know in my community and many around me all cultures and lifestyles are widely accepted and celebrated. i guess i wish more communities were respectful of people's differences didnt judge on those differences.

Well, then consider yourself lucky to live in such an acceptant place. Many of us have not met such good fortune and continue to struggle.

Miz Scarlet, would you mind sharing some of the sources of the history you mentioned? I haven't heard of most of it and I think it would do me good to get some reading done. =)

And too bad I didn't see this till after Pride. I would have loved to help promote Scarleteen.

------------------
--edited-- per the guidelines, please don't post your full name here.

"If you can't take the misery, stay out of the kitchen." Constantinos Smith, VCPR

[This message has been edited by kythryne (edited 07-28-2003).]

Posts: 9 | From: Cypress, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.