Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » of models and script writers...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: of models and script writers...
Izzybella6
Activist
Member # 9724

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Izzybella6     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was wondering why some GBLT individuals feel they need specific roll models in the arts and media?

I have allot of gay friends and being bi myself the whole lot of us spend every waking hour finding small, convincing ways to show others around us that being GLBT is as normal as anything else. I mean, once we get over that _specially oriented_ feeling we spend allot of time and energy finding our own slot in every day life. why do we need roll-models we are sure are gay? Isn't it counter-productive to what we strive for every day? your roll-models should be good, honest people regardless. Don't you think?
I know it feels good to be in similar company, that I'm not trying to challenge. But, really... since when did media personalities reflect the real meat of reality? Since when did it matter whether or not your favorite love song was written to a specific sex? I don't like kd Lang's music and some lesbian acquaintances of mine give out vibes that they think I'm less __specially oriented__ than they are because i don't see her as anyone special. In retrospect, It makes no difference to me whether the staff at my college are gay or not if i feel they are somebody i would like to use as a roll model. I'm convinced that I prefer not to know the sexual preferences of an artist soley because I'd like to think it's not such an important issue to people anymore. I don't need proof that GLBT people are singing and acting. Do you?

I'd rather enjoy Will and Grace and laugh at the stereotypical characters and their antics. I'm not convinced that any GLBT person in show-biz, hollywood or other slice of fame possesses a talent because of an extra boost they got from their sexuality so I'm not necessarily looking up to them. I'm also not going to look at sitcom script writers to write classic inspiring literature for the GLBT soul. I think Queer as Folk is a sham, i think Will and Grace is harmless and i think the GLBT supporting characters in other scripts of hollywood are added for spice in today's media and are not part of some quota. The quota might be there but it is not a force worth mentioning. I demand representation in government but that is all.

Whenever i need to steep in some specifically GLBT media i always turn to the internet and its media and communities. It's always been more "for the people, by the people" in nature and is so much richer in content then anything you can find on the boob-tube. What do you think?

as far as roll-models are concerned, I'm going to look towards the people causing positive change around me rather than to the flash and bang of media entertainment. What will you do?

wow, that felt good to put in writing anyone care to comment?

Love these boards! Cheers.

Posts: 56 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's worth recognizing that in terms of something like this, a bisexual may not have the same feeling of void a homosexual does because we can, in some ways, still identify with the heterosexual models we see in at least some of our relationships.

I think too, what a given person wants or needs in terms of the cultural iconography they see is going to vary an awful lot, and we can't make very accurate generalizations based on what those of us who are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered need, because we are a HUGELY diverse group.

But talking about things like staff in support groups, really, is is often going to make a difference. A heterosexual person is not going to have had direct experience navigating a lesbian relationship, nor directly and personally understanding all of the aspects a lesbian is going to be juggling in such. They can be empathetic and supporitve, sure, but the advice they may give based on their heterosexual relationships can often be of limited help.

Do I, personnally, need to know that an aspect of who I am is being more accepted in our culture? Well, it's sure nice, especially when if I have a same-sex partner I have to deal with an awful lot of serious negatives. Having some positives, and seeing some light at the end of the tunnel is somewhat comforting. Yes, some of it might be tokenism for the time being, but it's a foot in the door.

And while I'm not a TV-hound myself, one of the bonuses of GLBT performers or characters existing in such is that they get visibility and thus have a little more power in some respects than some of the rest of us do to get more positive messages out there.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.