Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » LGBTQA Relationships » Starting a gay-straight alliance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Starting a gay-straight alliance
siadreamsp
Neophyte
Member # 1265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for siadreamsp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, well me and a few of my friends are starting a gay-straight alliance at our school, we had a meeting with our principal and it got approved, now it is just dealing with the kids at our school. My school is so closed minded that i am so scared to do this, but i do know that it is necessary. Our first meeting is on thursday and me being the president i will be getting most of the slack about it, i am not embarassed or anything, just a little bit nervous i guess.
Posts: 15 | From: Cave Creek Az | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you! How can we help?
Posts: 67996 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
siadreamsp
Neophyte
Member # 1265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for siadreamsp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think i need help in the whole closed minded image, i don't want people to think that is you come to this meeting that you are gay. How do i make it seem that what it is, that you just support equal rights?
Posts: 15 | From: Cave Creek Az | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest, my thoughts on that are that you have to create an environment where no one CARES if people think they are gay by going to a meeting.

\In other words, if people there feel a need to say, "BUt I'm stright, not gay!" that creates an environment in which no one is allied at all.

Some of that also lies in creating dualism. The whole world really isn't satright or gay. I know that neither of those terms describe me, at all, to make it personal. The whole world is a million shades of greay in between -- bisexual, pansexual, homosexual with heterosexual experience, heterosexual with homosexual fantasies, omnisexual, asexual...I could go on for pages.

But what I'm saying is, in order to create an environment of openness, you have to really BE open. Sexuality isn't about having two sides of a single coin. So perhaps creating materials or an environment in which you simply work with inclusiveity EVERYONE can subscribe to, rather than making people "pick sides," you can get a lot farther.

So, if you;re making flyers for this or some such, why not have them say something like "Support Human Rights -- Support ALL Sexual Identnties," or some such.

And Hanne and I are always happy, by the way, to allow people doing things like this to print out some articles from here (try the gaydar section) for such use, as long as you let us know you're doing that and make sure our URLand copyright info is on the copies.

Posts: 67996 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.