Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » "Why you should Vote"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Why you should Vote"
Barbarosa
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbarosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to post this under Article Chat, but since this is more of an obsequious send up of the thread I thought I would post it here.

Well, I have to say to Heather et al, now you have done it. You have forced me to do something I have been resisting, up till now quite successfully. In fact I have started a post along these lines a couple of times, but deleted it each time for one reason or another. I am a coward.

I thought that “Why You Should Vote” was a new topic as I had not seen it before, and I followed the link at the end of one of your most recent posts in of all places Safer Sex and BC! What caught my eye was the very punny comment about “waxing your bush”, and I was going to zip you a line about one of my favorites sites; The Axis of Eve - http://www.axisofeve.org/ and a sister site http://www.axisofeve.org/daughters.php
The Daughters of Eve. I clicked on your link and started to read… and well that brings us to this point.

I was going to gush about all the great things that are done here, and how I think you are right on, how your advice is really sage, blah blah blah. Instead I have decided to keep it simple.

I loved this Vote section and if it is OK with you would like to leave a few copies in my waiting room.

You did not mention the environmental damage done by this admin, but hey, there is only so much space and the list of atrocities is pretty damn long…

Then there is the whole health care thing…Don’t let me get started.

I rented my soul to a drug company a few weekends back and am forwarding a small bit of the proceeds to support this site. (Its not much, my soul goes pretty cheap these days and we need a new forge at home)

I like it here. I think I will stay a while.

Oh well, any way Nice Job!

Posts: 380 | From: Up North, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, thanks. And waiting room away! With this election, we all need to dole out all we can.

The issues I chose were the most relevant to Scarleteen and our users here. Obviously, as said at the end of the piece, there are a WEALTH (or is that a deficit?) of other issues: the environment, international relations, military issues, the economy, child welfare. healthcare, general education...the works.

And the women at Axis of Eve are great: we've spoken in passing. They did a banner for use here I keep forgetting to post!

Thanks as well for the pending donation.

(And do expect email per articles soon: I have my fingers in so many pies that coming back from a week away means a gargantuan pile of new email.)

Posts: 68006 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbarosa
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbarosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paypal is wonderful. I hope they do not take a cut from your end.

I am going to move to the South of France if "you know who" (like a page from JK Rowling isnt it) gets re-selected this go around. Still working on the whole make a living/eat/stay warm/pay for college angle. Something will turn up I am sure.

Posts: 380 | From: Up North, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or move to Canada, like so many said they would last time. Fortunately, so few did that you can still find apartments there, even in large cities like Toronto, and French speakers should feel at home in Quebec.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

I've made up your mind.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miz S. That rocked. Really, it did.

I voted last time (just old enough by a couple of months), and I'm voting again this time. My state is so swinging that (I've heard) had only one person per voting district voted in a different manner, the state would have gone to Bush. (Gore won here by .5%)

In any case, I have much love for that article you wrote.

------------------
I see you shiver with antici......pation

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbarosa
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19894

I just finished reading the whole thing.

Now I am more depressed and genuinly frightened than before.

I usually start my day with a quick cruise of Salon.com, where I am most likely to find some positive news about the polls and voter info, or how Kerry rocked in a debate. Today the news was that Bush is up in some polls, and to top it off found this rather horrid little bit of news, and printed it to read tonight when I got home. I finished it about 10 minutes ago and had to post. Be Afraid, be very very afraid.
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/10/18/gayohio/index_np.html

You might not be able to see the whole thing if you are not a member, but it is worth the trouble to do the free access offer to read it all.

What scares me is the vile BS that Patrick Johnston spews as "thought" and political agenda could even be uttered in public and not result in his being locked away as a threat to humanity. People are actually suggesting ideas like “biblical law” in the mainstream! Here! And the RNC seems at least to be tacitly supporting this.

Call, email, write everyone you know in Ohio, tell them that Issue 1 is about one thing only; hatred at its absolute worst. Tell them to vote it into oblivion where it belongs. That leaves only 8 or 9 other states to get this message to…

If this all sounds familiar, it should.

At no time in my life have I been more worried about the future of this once great country. This as well as the info in the Vote article give me reason to think that we are now under the equivalent of Taliban rule.

A couple of years ago I was willing to delude myself into thinking that the odd backwater state that wanted to abandon teaching evolution to give creationism its due were just an oddity. I now believe that this effort is just the first step in the “Dumbification” of our youth, just as denying them good solid reproductive health info is. Teaching people not to think, and forcing them to learn only twisted religious doctrine is sounding freakishly familiar.

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, both you Wisconsinites: if you can make the time -- and I encourage you to -- do whatever you can after you vote to get more people TO vote in your state.

My best friend and I were strategizing over dinner tonight, for instance, and realized that if we drove over to the University afterwards and spent the rest of the day and evening there talking to people on the street, offering rides to polling places, we could be of a a lot of use.

(This was after my suggestion we just drive an hour over the border into Wisconsin, but in the area we'd hit, it's entirely possible that if I was too vocal about my stuff -- just being lesbian, for instance -- it might get pretty ugly, and as it is Minnesota is on shaky ground. Scary, really, for one of themost historically progressive states in the union.)

Milke: a move to Canada is by all means not out of the question. However, emigration standards/requirements and moving expenses as a single person make that far tougher than it seems, and you know, I like parts of Canada a lot, but I also like where I live now and have mainly grown up, where I've paid taxes for almost 20 years, where I've been politically active, where members of my family and myself worked awfully hard to make changes, where my friends and community are. So, I'm very reluctant to be literally driven out, especially by groups and parties who in many ways, pay far less heed to the priniciples of the nation here than I ever have.

Posts: 68006 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, around here, we're pretty well set with voter encouraging devices. Madison is pretty progressive, and I can't count how many times I've been asked to register to vote. Plus MTV (hey, they're high profile) Rock the Vote was here on campus a few days ago as was Michael Moore. So awareness is pretty high. I wish I could say as much for the rest of the state, or even the city.

But I have been telling my students to vote. Cause they should.

As an aside, I think it was pretty cool that, this summer as I was driving out to Washington and back, I was asked to register to vote in two other states. States I was in for no more than a day.

------------------
I see you shiver with antici......pation

Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, as my wife said, if Miz Scarlet moved to Canada, she'd have to learn to like tea in the mornings.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

(Actually, froggy, how it is in your city only effects your whole state so much, UNLESS you get even more people in the city to vote to essentially outvote those outside the city.

And that IS cool.)

Oh gawd, the morning tea. (Didn't work for me in England, either.)

Look, Bobo, I am STILL traumatized by the lack of coffee in Toronto mornings last week. Don't go compounding my trauma!

Barbarosa
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19894

Hey, I will be at UW Madison the 1st of Nov. I have a talk to do from about 830 till noonish. (pitty the poor grad students)

I will swing by the border, pick you guys up and we can head south to Lacross, then hit Madison and make Milwuakee before the polls close on Tuesday, if we hurry! If we start Sunday and you work the Madison campus whilst I do my thing we could be even more effecient.

I will spring for gas and accomodations. If we could just get JK to say that thing about approving this message...

christinejones
Activist
Member # 19128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christinejones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey - i was just curious and hadn't looked here when i first wrote but does anyone know whether there are any plans to make voting obligatory. like i said (in another post - i'm gonna delete it) i have some australian friends and they get fined even if they are living in a different country they still have to get to their embassy, consulate or do postal voting. they have to vote once they hit the legal age (18??) why not here?
Posts: 139 | From: los angeles | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.