Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & HELPS » Staff Stuff » minors and confidentiality

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: minors and confidentiality
Londongirl
Activist
Member # 18235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Londongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sent the following a an e-mail on 5/6/04 but never recevied a reply:

"Doctors keep everything that you tell them confidental. If they dont, they could get fired. "

I was concerned about this statement by the advocate Glitter in this thread: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/005391.html, as it is my understanding that there are ways that parents can find out - eg access to med records of minors, insurance statements. If I understand the US system correctly Glitter's post is misleading for minors in my opinion.

------------------
Londongirl
University Student

Posts: 352 | From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also mentioned in that post, UNLESS your health is seriously in danger your doctor does have to keep everything that you tell him/her confidential. BUT, maybe, I should have phrased it differently.

It depends on the circumstances of the problem. But, the moral issue (ethics) of the patient is 16 (or 18) years or older is to keep your records confidential.

Confidentiality is very improtant to the medical field and the field of law. Penalties can range from suspension or termination depending on how severe the circumstance.

------------------
*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Hearts will never be practical until they are made unbreakable

“One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Heather Corinna

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me try and clarify this one.

Actual doctor confidentiality and parents looking at an insurance statement are very different things.

Understand that for starters, in the US, many youth don't get sexual healthcare via their parents insurance, but instead through private clinic systems.

And no, if a parent were to call doctors or clinics, unless a doctor believed that parents need to be apprised of a serious health or safety issue, it would be unethical -- though not always illegal -- for a doctor to report to a parent. Some situations, such as being under the age of consent, can inluence that. That's not necessarily simply 16 or 18.

But yes, if a doctor wasn't respecting pateinet confidentiality overall, a given clinic or practice would likely not keep he or she on.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.