Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Parents, Adults and Teens » I know its been discussed before, but...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I know its been discussed before, but...
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunnybunny888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 18, just finished my first year of university (living in res) and have been dating my bf for about 4-5 months. during the year we often sleep over in each others rooms to cuddle or fool around, etc. Now we're both home for the summer and on different sides of the country. He is going on a weekend trip with his dad that I was invited on, we would be staying in a hotel. To help shave the price the 3 of us were going to share a room (one of us would sleep on a cot). My parents are insisting that I get my own room. I told them that I have no problem with that as long as they are willing to pay for the extra room, which they are not. They have met my bf and like him very much and tell me that they approve of him much more than any of my other bfs. When he is coming here later in the summer he is going to be staying in our house in a seperate room, which is completley acceptable seeing as how we are in my parents house. But seeing as how I am legally an adult, at the age of sexual consent and out of town for university where I can sleep in whomevers room I choose, and am paying for the airfare and such, I feel my parents are being a bit ridiculous. Their only reason that I cannot stay in their room is that, it is not "proper" and then go on to say they must have done something wrong to have a daughter that has grown up with no morals or values. I find this extremely insulting to myself. They tell me they trust me, but do not allow me to make my own desicions, and then tell me I am a bad person. Technically, I do not need their permission but that would not go over well at all, seeing as how I am still living in their house. I don't know how to make them understand that they need to let go, and that I am living on my own during the majority of the year and will make all of these desicions for myself. I don't fight with my parents over everyhting, even though they are very overprotective, but long distance relationships are hard and I really want to see my bf. Also, last summer I wanted to go out of town with my ex bf but they told me I could not because they did not like him and we did not have a "chaperone". Currently, they like my bf and his father is coming but they are still not allowing me to go.

Does anyone have any advice on how to talk to them about this?

Posts: 246 | From: canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If talking to them rationally and calmly doesn't help, given that your are an adult now, and that you are paying your own airfare, I would simply suggest that you make your own decision, and do what you want to do. As you say, it may put your parents out a bit, and things may be a little stormy, but ultimately, I think they will have to accept that you have grown up and that you can now legally make those choices for yourself.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JJ_414
Neophyte
Member # 33823

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JJ_414     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don`t get what the problem is if the dad is sleeping in the same room as both of you? Am I reading this right...? If he wasn`t going to sleep in the same room then I understand your parent because mine would be the same.
(both my parents and my grilfriends are very strict on that too even though I`m 18)

Posts: 16 | From: Quebec | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunnybunny888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes his dad was going to be in the same room which was also why i did not understand. However, my parents did pay for my own hotel room so at least I still get to go, but it's still a waste of money and quite ridiculous. This situation has come up in the past and I'm sure it will come up again several times this summer, so it's just kind of ugh
Posts: 246 | From: canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.