Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » Pink Slip » Ladies Room » Scared to death of tampons!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scared to death of tampons!
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if you can help me with this, but I am scared to death of tampons! I tried one last summer, before going to a waterpark, and I physically could not do it. I couldn't fit it in, or something. It was horrible. (Needless to say, I didn't have much fun at the waterpark!) Anyway, summer's coming up again, and I was wondering if anyone could give me a little advice, or anything. (Also: does this mean that sex will be painful for me?)

Thanks a lot!

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

"Wow, someone slept in sex ed!"

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DancingSunshine
Neophyte
Member # 2893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DancingSunshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DARNIT! I had this really long thing typed... but it got erased!! Let's see if I can do this again, but I'm going to significantly shorten it.

Relax when you put in the tampon, you'll never get it in if you're all hyped up. If you don't get it right, take it out and try it again. Also, just keep trying. Practice makes perfect, and no one gets a tampon in just right on their first try. It took me awhile to be able to get it in with ease.

I don't think there's a way you can physically not be able to get tampon in. Your hymen may make it a little more difficult, but you should still be able to get a tampon in. Your hymen can't completely cover your vagina, or you wouldn't have blood coming out for your period.

About it hurting the first time you have sex, I doubt it. I think it only hurts when you're trying to put your tampon in because you're not doing it right. This shouldn't affect the first time you have intercourse at all. But everyone's different, so no one can tel you whether or not it's going to hurt the first time you have sex.

------------------
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music!

Posts: 32 | From: Shoebox | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here honey, we have a thread here where our darling Miz Scarlet described the best way to insert a tampon. And just a note sweetie, if you use our nifty search function, you will be able to get your answers to your questions much more quickly. Especially when it comes to topics like tampons which have been asked alot of times.

Alternatively, you might like to try sea sponges or The Keeper - fab alternatives to tampons. Any information you need is in the threads below.
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum11/HTML/000056.html

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum11/HTML/000275.html
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum11/HTML/000351.html

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aquamarine
Activist
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquamarine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course Miz Scarlet said it best. I just wanted to add that many women have trouble inserting tampons for the first time, and chances are that you'll get the hang of it sooner or later. Relaxing is good

Lin made a good point--tampons aren't the only ways of internally collecting menstrual fluid. There are several safe, environmentally friendly alternatives that I find appealing, and have yet to try.

Posts: 87 | From: bay area & new england | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the other alternatives mentioned might be good, but remember, some people just aren't comfortable and dont like tampons. Like me. If you really can't stand it(like me) then try something else, because it's know fun when you can feel something like that all day.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Country Girl
Activist
Member # 3380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Country Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a pad user for up until about January of this year (at 19!) and must say that tampons are the best thing since sliced bread. I feel much freer to be myself. Relaxing is probably the biggest tip I can give you.. right up there with try, try again. I tried for YEARRRSSS.... Oh yeah..and don't pull the applicator out when it's only halfway in...OW! :P
Posts: 80 | From: VT | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i fess up. i am a tamponophobe. but to answer that last query, only in dreams, not using a tampon does NOT necessarily mean sex will be painful.

------------------
i use angst

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, was a pad user until I acclimated my body to using tampons. Amazing devices, those things are. Since the question was about tampons (which I find especially fabulous in the summer), here's my 2 cents:

Start with the smallest one you can find. Really. Tampax makes "lights" that I believe had purple writing on the box. They're
itsy bitsy. On the
heaviest day of your next period, try using one and just hanging around the house with it. That way, if it gets uncomfortable, you can take it out and not worry about finding a bathroom nearby.

Buy some handy-dandy lube to use with it. I've tried KY, which works, it's fine, but I expect astroglide would be good as well, and is highly recommended by this site. Put a little bit of lube on the top of the tampon, the part you insert into your vagina. It will slick things up a bit and make it a little easier, I've found.

Don't forget to breathe. Angle the tampon so it's in an "up" direction going towards your back in an almost 45 degree angle position. This may be hard to understand but you'll figure it out as you're inserting the tampon.

If it really hurts, stop. Try again in a few hours, the next day, whenever. Also, if you're sitting in the bath, you can try and stretch yourself out with your fingers (supposedly the warm water helps to open you up or relax you - I've tried it and it's helped me).

And no, this does not necessarily mean sex will be painful or bloody. It just means that you're trying something new out on your body and are a little nervous - something that can be gotten over quickly with a little practice.

Hope this helped a bit.

Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purple Lemonade
Activist
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Lemonade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tampons take a lot of patience, but you'll get the hang of it.
A good idea is to use a mini tampon first, and try it on a heavy day, so that there's more lubrication and so it won't hurt as much.
The tampons with the bullet ends are the best.
Remember not to keep a tampon in for more than 5 hours, because in some cases it can cause Toxic Shock Syndrome, which is fatal.
Stick to that and you'll be sweet.

Posts: 54 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all of you-but I'd like to know, where exactly can you get some of these alternatives?

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good call, Starry!

Dreams - menstrual alternatives are available on the net, or in good health food stores.

There are links to sites where you can order the Keeper, organic tampons and menstrual sponges right here in, part 5 of our "On the Rag article.

------------------
"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to be scared to death of them as well. If you put it in wrong or you're tense it can hurt. Sit in a comfortable position with your legs spread apart on the toilet. The little pamphlet inside the tampon box may also suggest some other ways like lifting one leg up against something, but I find sitting with your legs apart easiest and most comfortable. Once you get used to it you can even do it standing up. The most important thing to do is RELAX. It's JUST a tampon...remember that! If you stay calm and cool you should be able to easily push it in. Get a tampon with an applicator, it makes it a lot easier. You really can't push too far so push it up until you can't feel it anymore (leaving the string out of course) Good Luck!

------------------
"nothing's quite the same now - I just say your name now - but it's not so bad - you're only the best I ever had"

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh* I too used to be a 'tamponophobe'. But then one day I just got over it. Take the advice everybody else has given you...it's all about relaxing, and all that. Also, check into those alternatives, one of those might work best for you. You'll get it figured out, I'm sure.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
the kittenblog

"Follow me or perish, sweater monkeys!"
~from 'Bring It On'

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amante
Neophyte
Member # 3474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amante     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was scared of them too.
The first time I inserted one I nearly fainted, but my mum was there to make me feel alright.
Ask your mum to help.
I now love tampons, and couldn't live without them.
Love Nikki

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stuckupsnob77
Neophyte
Member # 3862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stuckupsnob77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't be scared... just get the smallest size to start... it wont hurt believe me

Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Sigh.

Well, I can sum up the good news and bad news in one sentence. The good news is, I almost fit a tampon in. The bad news is, I only almost fit a tampon in.

Everything was going pretty well, but I guess I must have tensed up or something, because it was too painful to continue, and I pulled it out when it was halfway in. (I'm still sore.) Any more tips on fitting the darn thing in? (Or do I just have a demented body?)

Oh, and where can you get sea sponges?

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

StarWonderer
Neophyte
Member # 3147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarWonderer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello! i just thought that i would put my two cents in as well! the first time i had inserted a tampon was kinda weird...i was half drunk and i was concerned that i wasn't gonna be able to finish the party with my dreadful pad! i guess it helped that i was partly drunk when i put it in...NO I"M NOT SUGGESTING THAT U GET DRUNK AND PUT IN A TAMPON!!! the first time i actually tried to insert one, i almost cried! but when i finally got it in, i was so relieved! also, as a reminder, i suggest that u alternate pads with tampons regularly, as it reduces the risk of TSS. also rotating saves you from getting sore as fast from putting them in! also, go slow and don't forget to BREATH! i wish u luck!
Posts: 32 | From: Tiffin, Ohio, United States | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
drunken tampon insertion ... whoo, a new olympic sport?

------------------
i use angst

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zae~Zae
Activist
Member # 2946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zae~Zae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was nervous the first time too but I calmed down and everything was a-ok. I thought that it was going to be inserted to deep and hurt my hymen then I found out by trying that it won't hurt you at all. They just are a more convient method to pads.
Posts: 91 | From: South Carolina, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

quote:
Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:
drunken tampon insertion ... whoo, a new olympic sport?

LOL, that could be interesting...

Anyway, I guess I was a little too tense. I gave up after two tries, because it was very painful and I was more than a little freaked out. (Well, it was better than last summer...I ended up crying my eyes out.)

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's alright to take a break. Mother Nature will give you 21-35 days until you have to worry about it again ... Don't you just love her for it

------------------
For I am a bear of very little brain and long words bother me.
~ Winnie the Pooh

In a Smurf's world ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, seems like a few of you have had painful tampon experiences. May I re-suggest lube? Lube, lube, lube, what a wonderful thing! It helps to prevent "dry-tampon" when it's time to take it out. And that is definitely a fab thing.
Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shoosh
Neophyte
Member # 3830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shoosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Dream...

Well, I just got my first tampon in myself... with a lot of effort. I guess I can tell you what worked for me:

1) Lubricant! I used petroleum jelly, which probably isn't the best stuff for your body, but it did work. Try to get some stuff from the store that is ok to have in your body.

2) Slim Fits! I am not endorsing anything here, but any kind of Slim Fit tampon is great for a first time, and make sure there's an applicator. <-- VERY IMPORTANT!

3) The Insertion Itself! I know you already know not to be tense, but try putting one foot up on the toilet and the other on the floor with your knees bent. Make sure the tampon is inserted slowly and read the directions in the tampon box. (They help.) Oh! And the tampon should be diagonally pointed at your butt, you know what I mean?

Any-hoo, that's pretty much all I can give you, but I hope it helps!
~Toodles

Posts: 18 | From: Worthington, Oh | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well yay for almost getting it in...you're making progress at least. I'll definately second the motion to get a bottle of lube. I found the Astroglide...and with God as my wittness, I shall never go lube-less again!

Anyway, I'm going to make a second suggestion which may sound a little out there, but I'll share anyway. When I first started putting tampons in, I'd get really nervous and tense up, just like you probably did. So, I found a remedy to the tensing up problem which may or may not work for anyone other than me. I found one of my mom's romance novels that I really found interesting, and I'd sit there before I tried to put the tampon in and read through and that kinda got me in a mindset where all those muscles just relaxed on their own. Anyway, just a random suggestion...hope I'm not contributing to the delinquincy of the young around here.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
the kittenblog

"Follow me or perish, sweater monkeys!"
~from 'Bring It On'

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It took me forever (or a few years at least) to get comfortable with tampons. I found that using an applicator helped me learn how to use them more than anything else, and after the first few times I was successful with the applicator, I was ready to insert them normally. Just keep on trying- you'll get it eventually!
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
p*r*i*n*c*e*s*s
Neophyte
Member # 3992

Icon 1 posted      Profile for p*r*i*n*c*e*s*s     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had that exact same proplem then i got it just relax
Posts: 1 | From: us | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.