Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Is there a possibility that I am pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is there a possibility that I am pregnant?
inessg
Neophyte
Member # 107820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inessg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, sorry for being long. So, me and my boyfriend had sex about 2 weeks ago. We were together for about a week, so we did it about 4 times. We always used a condom, and took every precaution with it (made sure it was from a good brand, that the condom was fine before and after sex and we put it right, according with the instructions on the box. And the condoms were bought only a couple of week before and were kept inside the box and in a drawer, to be sure they weren't spoiled).
The thing is, my period should have come a few days ago. I have period symptoms (abdominal pain, increased acne, etc) but I have read that these, not accompained by bleeding could be a sign of pregnancy. Also, I read that condoms are not as safe as I thought. I'm thinking about starting on the pill, but I still have to go to the doctor's appointment.
Do I have reasons to panic?
Thank you.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carpe Diem
Activist
Member # 47124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carpe Diem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi inessg! Considering that you used condoms correctly during the times you engaged in sexual activities with your boyfriend (you didn't mention what kind of sex you had so I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you are referring to penis-in-vagina intercourse) I really do want to assure you that in my opinion you don't need to be concerned about pregnancy. The period symptoms, as you described them are probably just that. Just because your period is a tad late is no reason to ring the alarm bells, as there are plenty of reasons why your period can have a mind of its own and come late, early, etc. I hear you say your worried about the effectiveness of condones as your source of birth control. Condones are quite effective when used properly, but adding a second method of BC to the mix is never a bad idea, especially when you're stressing about pregnancy concerns that don't originate with sound, logical reasoning. So why not make that appointment you were contemplating and address the issue of adding BC pills or another contraceptive device to your sexual safety repertoire. Better safe than sorry right? [Smile]

--------------------
"Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain."
-Joseph Campbell

Posts: 210 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carpe Diem
Activist
Member # 47124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carpe Diem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, this article may be helpful, seeing as how you mentioned adding a new form of birth control. Scarleteen has some wicked awesome info available. Http://m.scarleteen.com/article/sexuality/birth_control_bingo

--------------------
-Joseph Campbell

Posts: 210 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inessg
Neophyte
Member # 107820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inessg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much.
I think my biggest concern was really the fact that condoms have a possibility of being only 85% effective. I found out about that recently, and being the pessimistic that I am, 15% seems pretty high. Anyway, I am going to start on the pills because I don't want this kind of stress anymore, and hope that my period comes at last.
Thanks again [Smile]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carpe Diem
Activist
Member # 47124

It is true that condoms can only be 85% effective with typical use, but they are 98% effective with perfect use. I totally get that there is a big difference between those numbers, which is why http://m.scarleteen.com/article/boyfriend/condom_basics_a_users_manual is a good read [Wink] .
An ya, doing whatever you can to reduce stress from your life is always a good thing, so go ahead and do whatever you feel is right for you to feel more confident in your reproductive rights/ sexual activities.
So go ahead and make that appointment with your doc and don't be afraid to use that time to ask any and all questions you have. It's sometimes even a good idea to right down certain questions you may have in a notebook and bring it with you so that you can be sure not to have one of those situations where you get home after the appointment and are like, "darn, I wish I woulda asked A B or C..."
Good luck!

--------------------
-Joseph Campbell

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi inessg,

Carpe Diem provided a lot of great information about condom use and other forms of birth control (thanks!), but I wanted to address something you said in your initial post about symptoms or signs of pregnancy.

Almost everything that is a symptom of early pregnancy is something that can happen for other reasons as well. Have you seen this article? Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Symptom Freakout's Soul I think it's a good read in your situation. =)

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.