Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » still scared...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: still scared...
chel1590
Neophyte
Member # 55638

Icon 9 posted      Profile for chel1590     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok Guys, I just honestly need to be calmed down.

Here's my story:

My bf and I had sex the 17th of December, and when it came time for my period to come it didnt..it was sooooo light that i didn't have to wear a tampon or pad. I took 2 at home tests (first response) and they were both negative. Christmas time was very stressful for me so I just chucked it up to me being stressed and my body was producing a lot of cortisol to cope and that made my period non-existent.

My next period DID come, however it was still a lot lighter than normal, i couldn't get away with not wearing a tampon or pad though. And my period lasted the full time it normally does.

Being worried (I'm a MASSIVE worry wort) i took 2 more tests, both negative. Then I went to my doctor and got a blood test done...it was negative as well. As well the doctor did 2 urine tests while I was there and they were both negative.

My boyfriend and I use the pill (which I have never missed a day of) and a condom. And we check the condom when were done JUST to make sure it didnt rip or anything. But I'm still worried. My period is supposed to start the 21st of this month, I have no pregnant symptoms or anything. my stomach is a little unsettled but I think it may be just because of the worrying...

I also watched that show "I didn't know I was pregnant" and there was a woman on there who took an at home test, a blood test, all negative and she had a baby girl 9 months later...and I think it just got to me.

I know I'm being VERY dumb about this, because I know the chances are very slim...But i just want your opinion. To date I have taken 8-9 urine tests and a blood test. I just don't want to be one of those flukes in the system that slips by...so to speak.

Please just humor me :S

Posts: 9 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is NO reason to think you are pregnant. None whatsoever. You used two methods of birth control, which combined are as close to 100% effective as it is possible to get, and you've had multiple negative tests. You are NOT pregnant.

(TV, btw, is generally a terrible resource when it comes to getting the facts about things like this. Do yourself a favour a ditch watching those kinds of shows, okay?)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5763 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chel1590
Neophyte
Member # 55638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chel1590     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, I'm still a little worried though. I switching pills as well (this is my first pack this month) and I've noticed that I've totally lost my appetite, as well i feel a little sickish when I'm trying to eat. I'm assuming that this is just a side effect of the pill switch (yasmin to tri-cyclen lo). I don't really feel like that, only when I'm eating.
Posts: 9 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds very likely that it could be a side effect of your new pill. As long as you didn't take any longer than the normal 7-day placebo period between ending your last batch of active pills and starting this new pack, there shouldn't be a lapse in your level of protection. Again, you really do not have to be concerned about pregnancy here.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5763 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chel1590
Neophyte
Member # 55638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chel1590     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah, I started the new pack RIGHT on time. I just can't get this out of my mind. I'm horrible for stressing out (which I know is even worse for my periods).

Is there any chance that my hormone levels just aren't high enough to be detected? I don't quite understand the levels in the urine and the ability of the at home tests to be able to pick it up...

also, where yasmin was a constant supply of hormones at a given level. will switching to tri-cyclen lo make my periods any heaver because of it's lower dosage? (Which I wouldn't be opposed to at this point! [Razz] )

I really appreciate you for talking to me about this though [Smile]

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

You're welcome. [Smile]

It's incredibly unlikely that even if you were pregnant your hormone levels wouldn't be high enough to be detected by now. The vast, vast majority of the time, there is enough pregnancy hormone in urine by a few weeks into pregnancy to be detected by any test.

But, since you haven't really had any viable risk to begin with, that's sort of a moot point, you know? I know pregnancy worrying can be scary, but you are honestly stressing for no reason.

To answer your question about whether your period will be heavier or not, that kind of thing is really impossible to tell. Every woman reacts differently to different pill brands, so it's one of those things you just have to wait to find out.

--------------------

chel1590
Neophyte
Member # 55638

Yeah, I know.

I'm just afraid that I'm one of those outliers that slip though...you know what I mean?

what are some reasons that a period could go weird after being on the pill for over a year? Like I said, i never miss a pill. I think the latest I've ever been was 10 hrs...and I don't think that really means anything risk wise. I hope I'm right :S

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the same things that can knock out a bonafide menstrual cycle for people not using a hormonal method. Changes in lifestyle, sleep, eating, stress, general health, hormonal shifts, etc.

Some people have the idea that hormonal methods can have 100% control over the uterus and the hormonal cycles that impact it: they can't. They simply strongly influence those things and create some changes.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chel1590
Neophyte
Member # 55638

Well, I'm supposed to start my next period a week from today...I hope it comes...and it's NOT light...Or else I won't know what to do.

I was curious, if I was to do a self pelvic exam how would I go about doing it? If I was pregnant I would be 8 weeks.

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You really can't so a self-exam that's a pelvic exam. Just pretty impossible to get the right leverage. Plus, it doesn't sound like you have the education to even know what to look for, and even a pelvic from a trained provider isn't likely to be able to identify a pregnancy like this.

Cervical self-exams are the kind of self-exam people can do. If you're curious about those, here's a good link on that: http://www.fwhc.org/health/selfcare.htm

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chel1590
Neophyte
Member # 55638

Thanks
I don't know why this is still on my mind. Like, I know I cant be...It just doesn't make sense for me to be.

But I've heard horror stories about woman who never have a positive test, and they are months along before they find out...

I know I'm being a dummy about this...

Heather
Member # 3

I don't think calling yourself names is going to help anything. Be nice to you! [Smile]

I think the thing to try and bear in mind is that there are horror stories for everything, but what we usually want to pay the most attention to is what is most typical. If it helps, I've worked in an abortion clinic and most women did not have that experience. Those who did usually had something else going on that kept them out of touch with their bodies: being in abuse, having a substance addiction, having serious mental illness, or just being in total denial about a pregnancy. And none of the women in those situations I talked to had taken pregnancy tests, let alone had blood tests done.

You're not pregnant.

So, can it happen? Yes. Does it usually? No. Do most television shows represent reality well? No, because reality isn't what gets ratings.

But I think the most important information you can take from all of this is how you're feeling. It's clear you are very upset at the idea of potentially dealing with an unwanted pregnancy and are having a very hard time handling that. So, you might want to rethink if having the kinds of sex that can create that risk is the right thing for you right now. Or, if you still feel like it is, maybe you want to reconsider your birth control method, opting for something even more effective to use with condoms than your pill?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

chel1590
Neophyte
Member # 55638

That's true I spose...

My bf and I are very safe, but this whole thing had for sure turned me from sex for a while id say. I've talked to him and he understands. Besides, its not like I can't do ANYTHING for him...

I just hope that my period returns to normal next week (keep your fingers crossed for me ok? [Razz] )

It's just a scary thought is all...

chel1590
Neophyte
Member # 55638

hi there,

So..(not to jinx myself, knock on wood) I just started what i think is my period.

I'm a little concerned though, because normally I start on a Monday...

I switched to a lower dosage, and took my last active pill yesterday morning (730am). It's now 9pm Saturday night and I just started by the looks of things.

I was wondering if it's normal to start this early on lower dosage forms of the pill? (keep your fingers crossed that its heavy and puts my mind to ease! [Razz] )

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Even when you haven't switched brands, a little bit of variation in when your withdrawal bleed (the "period" you get on the pill) is totally normal. It may have something to do with the lower-dose pill - although there isn't much variation in hormone levels between pills anymore - or it might not, but it doesn't sound like you've got anything to worry about.

--------------------

chel1590
Neophyte
Member # 55638

oh yeah, even when I was on Yasmin I would sometimes start at 10am, other times 7pm. I'm just thinking that starting over a day early is a little weird.

But yeah, I don't think I have a whole lot to be worried about. I mean, 9 urine tests, a blood test, all negative. These past few months have just been a lot to have running through my mind is all.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.