Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Could I have miscarried?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could I have miscarried?
LevitationNation
Neophyte
Member # 43099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LevitationNation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I just joined this forum I thought I would go back a few months and try to figure something out.
A few months ago me and my boyfriend had a very real pregnancy scare.
I had taken 3 tests and they came back all negative but I had completely missed my period that month, the next month I thought I was getting my period, just about 3 weeks early and it only lasted a day so then I started to worry again. Then finally I had a very very heavy sore period that lasted around 3 days longer than it usually does and the blood was a different colour which worried me.
My boyfriend on hearing this told me that I had more than likely had a miscarriage, as there were a number of things that could have caused it at that time e.g. my medication (Mirtazapine).
I'd just like to know if this sounds like a miscarriage or not, I don't want it to have been one but I think about it a lot and I'm upset at the fact that I am not sure.

Posts: 23 | From: Northern Ireland | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you got three negative tests, and you didn't take them too early, then it is clear you were not pregnant. Your bleeding being different in color doesn't signal anything, other than the fact that it's possible it was due to your period having been skipped in the previous cycle.

Miscarriage, more often than not, does not have identifiable causes. And I just did a look at a few different resources, and that medication has not been suggested as one to be avoided during pregnancy. Lastly, in early pregnancy, miscarriage often doesn't cause heavier bleeding than a period and often is not accompanied with heavier cramping than a period, either.

However, one thing to just know as someone with a uterus, is that it's thought that pregnancies result in miscarriages as often as 50% of time, most happening so early that many women never even knew we were pregnant in the first place. So ultimately, it's often just going to be one of those things we really can't ever always know, and often may not ever know or even suspect. I know that can be kind of weird and uncomfortable to wrap our heads around, but it is how it is.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68255 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LevitationNation
Neophyte
Member # 43099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LevitationNation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, I know that doesn't make sense to say but at that time I felt really pregnant or something everything seemed so real. Unlike my boyfriend I was relatively calm, I mean I just that if it happens it happens and I will deal with it. It wasn't really a case of being ready or not it, we wouldn't have had a choice we would have had to make a go at it and try our best!
He was so freaked out that upsetted me a lot. He is moving away to Scotland in Septemeber to go to university and had written to a local uni to see if he could go there if he needed to stay here with me [Frown] he was so great.

Posts: 23 | From: Northern Ireland | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you may have been, but again, with three negative tests, it seems highly unlikely. You're probably going to be able to better identify what "feeling pregnant" feels like a lot better if you ever actually are and know you are. Of course, at the same time, even for one woman, every pregnancy is not often the same. I often see women at the clinic who didn't realize they were pregnant for some time because they expected to feel the way they felt with a previous pregnancy.

It sounds like your boyfriend was really supportive during the scare: that's fantastic.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68255 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LevitationNation
Neophyte
Member # 43099

Yeah he was after he completely freaked out, it was scary, but nice to know that if I had of been pregnant he would have been there. He had money plans and everything he had a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, Plan D and a Plan E haha

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.