Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Abortion: The Logistics for Minors.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abortion: The Logistics for Minors.
astronomical
Neophyte
Member # 42835

Icon 5 posted      Profile for astronomical     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a seventeen year old girl who has been "sexually active" for the last few months. My boyfriend is also seventeen. We've always been safe -- we use male condoms -- but I understand that they're not 100% effective. My period is nearing five days late, so I plan to take a pregnancy test tomorrow (the five day mark) and see how it goes.

I do, however, want to be prepared for a positive result. He and I have both decided that abortion is the only option I can follow through on, given our age and our plans to attend college next school year. We live in New York, so thankfully there are no restrictions involving parental consent or notification.

I guess what I'm wondering, then, is how I go about this. There is a Planned Parenthood in the next town over that does provide both medicinal and in-clinic abortion, but I plan to go the medical route because of its lower cost and greater privacy. Will they ask me for my health insurance information? Do I need to have my birth certificate? I have a driver's license that I'll be bringing for photo ID, but do I need to have anything else? Neither of us feel safe letting our parents know, so I have to understand exactly what I need to bring before I make the appointment.

Also, if anyone has any advice or information they want to tell me just to ease my frantic mind, I'm completely receptive to that too. [Roll Eyes] It goes without saying that the both of us hope it won't come down to an actual pregnancy, but we're both scared out of our wits here, wondering what to do next.

Posts: 3 | From: New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey astronomical. Welcome to Scarleteen.

Good for you for wanting to be prepared for a positive result from the pregnancy test. It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this, which is great.

Per what sort of ID is needed, and whether or not you'll be able to use your health insurance - if you even want to, and some insurance companies do not cover abortions - are questions best asked of the clinic you plan to go to. Planned Parenthood uses a sliding scale for payment, so if you are not able/don't want to use your health insurance, you'll be charged based on your income.

If you do get a positive result from the pregnancy test (and that isn't guaranteed, remember, periods can go missing for all sorts of reasons!) you're more than welcome to come back with any more questions you might have.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5779 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
astronomical
Neophyte
Member # 42835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for astronomical     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luckily for myself (and my boyfriend), the pregnancy test came back negative today, so unless I exhibit any other pregnancy symptoms within the next few weeks, I'll assume it was accurate.

That being said, I want to thank you for answering the question anyway. I agree that it's important to have a plan for emergency situations, and the more information I have, the stronger I can make this plan for the future.

Posts: 3 | From: New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're very welcome. [Smile]

I would suggest, though, that if you want some reassurance/confirmation that you got an accurate result, retesting in a week is a much sounder option than waiting for pregnancy symptoms. Pregnancy symptoms can be indicators of so many other things as well that a test is the only way to know for sure.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5779 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
astronomical
Neophyte
Member # 42835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for astronomical     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm. Unfortunately, a friend of mine has just found herself in a similar situation. Her pregnancy test, however, has come back positive. She's aware of everything she's going to be doing, but she has one question: can she do this anonymously? Maybe it varies from clinic to clinic, but she's hoping she won't have to give her name for the appointment. Will she?

I'm really sorry to bother you about all this. We're just pretty misinformed.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She will need to give her name and have an ID.

Abortion is a surgical procedure which requires medical recordkeeping, and that's also about security and safety for staff and clients in clinics. However, her medical information is legally protected as private.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68246 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.