Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » ..Quick Question.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ..Quick Question.
cheerleader135
Neophyte
Member # 35638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheerleader135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone. Happy 2008 [Smile]
Okay, so here we go, I had sex on the 11th of December, and then started my period 2 days later, normal time. I was just wondering, is there still a possibility of me being pregnant because I know it takes about 6-8 days for the egg to become fertilized. I know there's no way you can tell me if I'm pregnant or not, but is there a possibility of it?

Thank you:)

--------------------
Cheerleader136.

Posts: 13 | From: Missouri | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, a woman can't be pregnant and have a period at the same time. So, if you had a period since you had unprotected sex, then you just can't be pregnant.

It's worth remembering though that if you did engage in unprotected sex you've had a STIs risk. So, if you and your partner haven't been tested twice before 6 months apart or haven't remained monogamous since, then you might want to schedule an appointment to both go get tested.

(And thanks for the little happy new year. Same goes for you ! :) )

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, although very rare, it is possible to have periods during pregnancy. (Or period-like - I guess I should say)

My mother had what seemed to be periods throughout her entire pregnancy with me.

I'm not saying this is the case with you, just a little added note. But, to cure your curiosity, you have waited well over the amount of time for a pregnancy test to be accurate. If you have suspicions, you could buy one to ease your mind.

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To have an actual period during pregnancy is impossible. A period is the shedding of the endometrial lining. To shed that lining, while pregnant, would essentally abort the embryo/fetus.

While women may bleed during pregnancy, however, it is usually not a good sign. Any bleeding during a pregnancy should get checked out by the ob/gyn/prenatal doctor immediately, as it is generally a sign of problems and wouldn't be good for the baby.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the added info, Amanda.

That is why I made sure to add period-like and what seemed to be a period in my reply.

As I said, she had episodes of bleeding throughout her pregnancy. Her OBGYN couldn't find any abnormalities and her pregnancy went smoothly. I turned out just fine. I had complications after birth, but that was due to an infection that set in after I was born.

I'm sure her situation was a very rare one, indeed.

--------------------
Has sealed your fate.
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheerleader135
Neophyte
Member # 35638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheerleader135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone.
I was just a little worried, because I know the egg isn't fertilized until 6-8 days after you've had sex, and since my period was 2 days later, didn't know if that would make a difference and if I still could end up being pregnant since the egg wouldn't have been fertilized.

--------------------
Cheerleader136.

Posts: 13 | From: Missouri | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

I really wouldn't stress over this. If your period started on the 13 of December, it should be due again in a few days. You could always wait it out, if you can stay patient for that long, or buy a pregnancy test.

Know that stress can cause your period to arrive at a different time than it is supposed to. So if your period is late, it still may not mean you are pregnant. So, if you are deeply concerned, which it sounds as if you may be, you should purchase the test or go to the health clinic near you to get one taken. Good Luck.

[ 01-03-2008, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: oOo Lea oOo ]

--------------------
Has sealed your fate.
Atreyu

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.