Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Bos. hospitals stop giving gifts to new moms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bos. hospitals stop giving gifts to new moms
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
AP - Thu Dec 22, 7:37 PM ET

BOSTON - New moms at hospitals in Massachusetts will no longer get gift diaper bags filled with baby formula and other freebies, thanks to state health officials intent on promoting breast-feeding.

NOW READ THE ARTICLE

So what do you think of this? Personally, I think promoting breast-feeding is a very important thing. But this goes too far and deprives women of other supplies, too (those bags have things like pamphlets, diapers, rubber nipples, etc.). While i do what i can to encourage breast-feeding, women need to have choices available to them. Not every women is competent at breast-feeding. Not every baby takes to it very well. Some women have infections or substance abuse problems that make it unsafe for them to breast-feed. in the latter cases, you'd hope Child Protective Services might step in, but it doesn't always happen.

At the hospital where my sister works, their maternity ward offers mommies a variety of gifts. There's the choice of a baby car seat (CA state law will not allow a child to leave the hospital without one!), limo ride (for the moms who have the seats already), or a fully-loaded diaper bag (including Enfamil).

My galpal just had a baby there, and she chose the diaper bag. She still breastfeeds, though! Of course when I told her aobut the limo option, she felt kinda gypped.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is an excellent idea!

While i do think that new parents need to know all of their options, i don't think not giving formula as a gift has anything to do with them making the right choice for them. The choice is still there; if they want to formula feed, they can go out and buy it like everyone else.

Unfortuneatly, i think it will take a bit more work to get the breastfeeding rates up (and steady; many women start, but very few succeed to 6 months [the minimum recommendation by Health Canada] ... Breastfeeding to 2 years as the World Health Organization recommends is almost uneheard of) ... Lactation Consultants need be more readily available, and doctors and nurses more supportive and educated. Parents should be encouraged to take breastfeeding courses, and be made available to those who can't afford it. There are numerous changes that can be made to the birthing process itself that can help as well.

I think the gift bags are still a good idea ... I just don't think they should contain formula.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe no formula, but the bottles and extra things would be nice. Plastic baby bottles don't expire, so they can be used when the child is no longer breast feeding.

I think though, that those who can't or shouldn't breastfeed should be taken into consideration. For instance, my mother didn't actually lactate, so was unable to breastfeed me.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd support this, too.

Bottles, btw, pacifiers, all that, actually can do a good deal of damage to developing teeth (yep, even though the baby ones fall out), and tough as it is to make sense of in our fast-paced world, the healthiest thing for most babies AND mothers is breastfeeding without bottles.

Disposable diapers, also with the yuck.

I wouldn't be too worried here about the rarer cases where breastfeeding is NOT ideal: in most cases it is, and in most environments and institutions, it's just not promoted at all. So, promoting what is almost always the best thing for Mom and kid? Well, that should be the hospital's job, no?

But hey, why not just change that bag if one really wants the bag? Put washable dipes in it, pamphlets on breastfeeding (so the women you say aren't competent with it can GET competent), a gentle cream for nipple soreness, support group listings for postpartum depression, and a pamphlet on options and plans and such for mothers who, for whatever reason, cannot breastfeed.

I don't get the last line in that article, btw, or the pissiness behind it. Yeah, it's your business, and giving out bags with formula can far more easily be interpreted as a directive than giving away nothing.

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 12-23-2005).]

Posts: 68261 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(And don't even get me started on the formula that was in there being Nestle, who has a long, sordid and really nasty political and global history of making African communities terribly ill by promoting their formula. Ugh.)
Posts: 68261 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.