Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » when

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: when
thestranger
Neophyte
Member # 26004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thestranger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When are the days that a woman is fertile??
Posts: 7 | From: manahawkin | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
A woman is fertile from about a month before menarche (first menstruation) and menopause (last menstruation). That covers a period of about 30-35 years, perhaps more. If you are looking for more specific times to have unprotected sex with no pregnancy risk, there aren't any. You would be playing Russian roulette with your reproductive system.

------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

- Galileo

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thestranger
Neophyte
Member # 26004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thestranger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually not looking to have unprotected sex, it will be protected no matter what. We just want to know the best possible time to decrease the risk anymore that we can. We've been told in sex ed that theres actually only like 3 or 4 days that you can get pregnant. Which days are those, right before the period or right after?
Posts: 7 | From: manahawkin | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Impossible to tell you. Because everyone's different. You'd have to chart temperatures and mucus and all that for a good while before you could even begin to guess about that. Sorry I'm not very helpful on what precisely you'd need to do, but it's not something I've looked into.
Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've been mislead. You can get pregnant pretty much at any time in your cycle. Most young women don't have periods like clockwork, so ovulating twice in one month, having shortened or lengthened cycles, etc isn't uncommon. There are only so many days that an egg is viable, but when this happens in your cycle isn't always the same.

If you use a physical barrier like a condom, and a hormonal birth control like the pill or patch, you are very well covered.

[This message has been edited by JamsessionVT (edited 11-13-2005).]

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thestranger
Neophyte
Member # 26004

i understand you can get pregnant any time, but i know for a fact there are times when the pregnancy risk is lower because the egg is not present...is that right before the period? i read something that the egg is actually gone before the before it gets flushed out like 3 days before. i dunno if its true or not though.... but i just want to know when that is before or after the period?
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you get your period, it is because an egg did not get fertilized. So it is discharged from the body along with a layer of blood-rich tissue from the uterine wall. That is your period. So, having it means that the egg is leaving your body.

Again, your question is hard. Yes, there are certain times when the pregnancy risk, statistically, is lower, and this is usually during and right after your period. However, like I said before, some women's cycles are wacky, and ovulation can be early or late if you period hasn't become regular. So, to be safe, we say that there are no "safe days", just because cycles can be unpredictable sometimes.

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoelLane
Neophyte
Member # 26177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NoelLane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i know people who ovulate just prior to their cycle making it difficult to conceive when they are trying... but then others seem to be ovulating 31 days each month. there is not any way possible to tell unless you are having hormone therapy for IVF.

maybe you should wait until you aren't in school to be having sex. i mean that sincerely. there will always be a risk when having sex and it isn't a small task having a child. especially when you are fairly much still a child yourself.

how can you imagine taking care of a child when your parents are still taking care of you? until you know what it is like to take care of yourself you have no clue how to take care of someone else.

i know you will not like my saying this, but i am saying it out of concern. even to a 28 year old an unplanned pregnancy is enormous. let alone a young kid.

if you have any plans for the future that don't involve taking whatever job you can get to pay for your child, changing nappies, cleaning up after a baby... then don't do it. the risk is always there.

i know a bloke that was in a band that had to retire due to an unplanned pregnancy just before they were signed. it was really sad for him. he loves his baby but its difficult to hear about the success of his band when he's not able to be part of it.

anyway... just consider waiting... you've everything to gain by waiting and everything to lose by not.

i knew a bloke in my school that waited and everyone knew he was and i'm not taking the mick... he had his choice of girls because they all wanted him. three years after he was out of school he started dating the most gorgeous girl and they are so happy now... they've just had their first baby and he is in a successful job.

so... consider it and make a decision based on what you want out of life, not a hormone.

Posts: 2 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.