Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Am i pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am i pregnant?
sam_1983
Neophyte
Member # 24189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam_1983     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped taking Microgynon 30 contraceptive pill last month. I had a period 20th May as usual. My partner and myself had sex as usual as we are trying for a baby.
Since then I have not had another period, although I have heard the first period after coming off the pill isn't a true period, so you cannot become pregnant.
I have done a pregnancy test which was negative, but I still have not had another period. Can anyone explain why this is please?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you come off the pill, it takes your body a while to readjust to the lack of extra hormones. Your cycle, therefore, can be completely wonked out for a while before it settles down.

I doubt you're pregnant if you've taken the test correctly - 10-14 days after intercourse - but if in doubt, take another. If it's still negative, put it down to coming off the pill and wait it out - your period'll reappear at some point.

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i deleted your post in AskST since this is the same thing. We frown upon double posts, fyi.

Anyway, if you are trying to conceive, you might want to wait a little longer before you really try. Doctors recommend that you allow your body some time to flush out the remaining birth control hormones. Many recommend 6 months off the pill before oyu really try to conceive, but others may green light you at 3 months.

Why is it important to make sure you don't have bc in your body when you conceive? Because those hormones can interfere with gender development in babies.

In general, if you trying to make a baby, please consult your doctor first so you can get on track with your nutrition and medical care.

So for now, you might want to have him use condom or get a diaphragm for yourself till your body is primed and prepped for pregnancy.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam_1983
Neophyte
Member # 24189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam_1983     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your help and advise. I didnt know you weren't allowed to post the same message twice, I am sorry.
Thanks again

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.