Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » "morning" sickness...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "morning" sickness...
missxworldx
Neophyte
Member # 21364

Icon 5 posted      Profile for missxworldx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all..i'm new here..i was just wondering something. Well, i had an abortion about 2 days ago..i was 8 weeks pregnant. For about a week before the abortion i was sick constantly, i mean i was nauseous non stop..Right when i woke up, and for the entire day. It got to be so bad i could hardly eat..or get out of bed..i was crawling to the bathroom and getting sick. This kind of scares me because i do want to have children in the future, and i was wondering if it's really normal to be THAT sick for that long. I mean so sick that i did not leave the house for about a week. I did not see a doctor at all during the time i was pregnant so..if it is normal to be that sick is there anything you can do, or the doctor can give you, to help with the nausea?
Thanx for your time

Posts: 11 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
christinejones
Activist
Member # 19128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christinejones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi there
i know that in the 1960s/70s or so they came out with a pill to stop morning sickness called 'thalidomide' but many (perhaps all i'm not sure) of the children born to those mothers who had taken the pill were born with mal-formed tiny short limbs - arms or legs that just never grew properly... i don't know too much about it but you have to be kinda careful with all sorts of medications when you are pregnant.

and perhaps (i'm not sure about this either!) you don't necessarily always have morning sickness just because you had it in one pregnancy - the next could be just fine perhaps??

but, yeah, my sister went through the same misery - so bad she was practically crying and it went on all day for her too (nothing morning about it) but i think, i can't remember exactly, as my neice is 5 now but it lasted only a month or so --- if a very miserable month where she swore she hated pregnancy and what was all this bs about glowing and healthiness etc. etc.!!!

but i would be a bit careful about what you take in your pregnancy because doctors don't always know everything either and the pharmaceutical industry can seemingly be quite tricky sometimes too in their search for the next big money-making pill. better to err on the side of caution.
all the best cj

Posts: 139 | From: los angeles | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommy4life15
Activist
Member # 21345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mommy4life15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had bad morning sickness, but not as bad as yours. Although a friend of a cousin had it just as you described and she is fine now. It all depends on the person and age and genetics. It helped her alot taking this ginger pill or syrup, but you have to see the doctor. Hope I helped

------------------
~*~Ashley~*~

Posts: 51 | From: florida | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nausea and vomiting in one pregnancy doesn't guarantee the same for all. And some women never experience any at all.

If this happens in the future, you really should see your doctor. Vomiting can cause dehydration real quick and that's not good for you or your baby. (And i believe there is medication out there for this condition [i really wish i could remember the name of it!])

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might also be worth considering the possibility that the nausea could be completely unrelated to the pregnancy. It's entirely possible that you might have had some other illness going on at the time (like the stomach flu). Or maybe the stress of the entire situation was getting to you. Sometimes your body can have reactions like that during periods of high stress or emotional upset. I'd say there is at least some possibility that this kind of illness would not even be an issue with another pregnancy.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missxworldx
Neophyte
Member # 21364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missxworldx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all so much for your replies. I'm glad to hear that I may not be as sick when i get pregnant in the future.
KittenGoddess, i did wonder if maybe i was sick and that's why i was vomiting but..i've never been that sick for that long. And the nausea was completely gone after my abortion, So that's why i assumed it was a result of being pregnant. Thanx for your help everyone

Posts: 11 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Kitten said, I was also thinking that it might not be a result of your pregnancy. There are some really nasty flus going around, that's why people get flu shots much more commonly than they used to.

Also, what about the possibility that you were vomiting from nerves? Since you knew you were going to get an abortion, you could have been subconciously very worked up and therefore vomited. As crazy as this might sound, my boyfriend often gets very worked up when he works out and he very frequently vomits after working out. He's seen doctors to see if it might be anything else, and all they can say is that it must be a psycological thing.

Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missxworldx
Neophyte
Member # 21364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missxworldx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, i thought of that also. I don't know if it was actually because i was pregnant or because of nerves. I did everything i could to try and relax and i stayed calm through the whole thing. I planned on getting the abortion for about 2 weeks before i actually did, and i started getting sick one week after i had made the decision..so I'm still not really sure. I'm just hoping that if it WAS because of the pregnancy, that i don't get sick like that again =/

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.