Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Pregnant without knowing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnant without knowing
Jenni_05
Activist
Member # 17270

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Jenni_05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey y'all this site is awsome its soooo interesting LOL.......

anyways

I heard that there have been many cases of women who still continue to get their period every month and be pregnant and carry the baby to full term and not even know it!!!!

i was wondering if anyone has heard of this and how common is it.

i am currently on the pill and just got my period today so i know im not pregnant
but i always get paraniod that it might happen to me.

[This message has been edited by Jenni_05 (edited 03-17-2004).]

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, women who are pregnant cannot have true menstraul periods. The uterine lining thickens and does not shed during pregnancy; this lining is what is lost during menstruation.

Some women do experience light spotting for various reasons - implantation, cervix gets bumped, etcetera - and mistake this bleeding for a period, especially if they are looking for physical signs that they are or are not pregnant. However, this bleeding rarely occurs every month, and women who go their entire pregnancies without noticing are usually those who have a past of irregular menstrual cycle. Women who think they are postmenopausal or are going through menopause can also get pregnant without realizing. And, sad as it seems, there are cases where the woman is just in total denial and convices herself that there is no possible way she could be pregnant. This was the case with a friend of mine from highschool.

So, in general, if your periods are just as heavy as they normally are, don't fret. Home pregnancy tests can also alleviate any leftover nervousness. Be sure you're using your chosen form of birthcontrol correctly every time, and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenni_05
Activist
Member # 17270

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Jenni_05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okie dokie thanks for that hey.
i really appreciate it i think it's just paranoia LOL

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.