Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Sleeping with me???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sleeping with me???
confusedmom
Neophyte
Member # 15351

Icon 13 posted      Profile for confusedmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question for any of you mothers or fathers who have started putting a child to bed with you. How in the world do you get them out?!?!? My son, 1 1/2 still will not sleep in his bed for a whole night. It is the worst habbit I ever started...and now I can't end it. I just want to advise and of you which are having children or have and already started putting them in bed wiht you....don't start it. It's nice to snuggle with your baby when he's little and sleeping but when he gets older it just gets to be a nuisance. So any suggestions from anyone who's gone through this or trying to??

Posts: 21 | From: Regina, SK, Canada | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i was a kid, i think my parents weaned me out of their bed by putting me on a mat on the floor, then eventually moving me into my own room. can you perhaps do this while he's asleep?

------------------
SPAM: Spare Parts of Assorted Mammals

Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Co-sleeping is actually great, and I would totally suggest it to anyone with a little baby. My son started the night off in his basinette, and then came into our bed when he woke up for a 'snack'. I could put him on the boob, and he would have a snack, falling off the boob when he was done. If I woke up later, i would put him back in the basinette, otherwise he spent the rest of the night with me. It was great, it allowed me more sleep, which lead to a happier, less stressed mommy! My son always started out in his basinette, or crib when he got older. Once he started sleeping through the night, he didn't come into our bed. I totally recommend it!!!

co-sleeping once they start sleeping through the night has many disadvantages, although beit some advantages. The disadvantages include less sleep for mom and dad (it's hard to sleep when you are being kicked by little feet, or trying to avoid them), and less intimacy.

The key to to move your child over gradually if you find ourselve in a permanent sharing position. Put your child in his/her own bed at night, and comfort them. Do not allow middle of the night sojourns to your room. Once you allow them to come into your bed again, it sends the message to the child, that it is always worth trying. If your child climbs into bed, put them back into their bed. In the short run, you will loose sleep, but it will pay off in the long run. Eventually they will sleep in their own bed. There are many great books/articles/websites on transitioning into their own bed. I am a fan of the 'what to expect'series, however, that is my personal opinion, some do not like them.

------------------
Mommy, my boogers are yummy. Here try some! (I real conversation with my 2.5 year old)

Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinkymamma
Neophyte
Member # 17192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tinkymamma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, Co-sleeping is wonderful. I myself have a very independent little guy who WANTS his own room and refuses to sleep with me even in the same room w/him. (and he's only 6 1/2 months old!)
But I say let your kid stay in bed w/you until HE decides he doesn't want to anymore.

Just my .02.

------------------
*Sarah* ~ 19 y.o. mommy to Christopher Patrick.

Posts: 4 | From: Glendale Heights, IL USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confusedmom
Neophyte
Member # 15351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confusedmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about it being awsome. I personally think that it's not. Maybe it's the fact that I have to hold him or lay with him for him to fall asleep. I'm not sure. It's too crowded and me and my b/f don't get great sleep because we're always scared of rolling on him or whatever. My mom has the same problem with my little brother, except he is almost 6. My parents don't even sleep in the same room because of that, that is not how I want to end up and I definatly do not want a child that's 6 years old sleeping in my bed every night. I wouldn't mind it if it was once in a while but it's getting to be a pain.
Posts: 21 | From: Regina, SK, Canada | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, folks have had a lot of good suggestions for you here -- starting with giving your child his own bed in your room, which does usually work for most parents.

He climbs into yours, just be steadfast about carrying him back into his. Most children are very routine-oriented, so gradually, chances are good you'll see results.

Posts: 67994 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Confusedmom, try some of the techniques people have suggested to get your tot out of your bed. You could make bed shopping a whole big ordeal, with your child picking out his new bed. My son moved out of the crib at around 18 months. We made it a production, with shopping for a bed, and a brand new 'big boy' sheet set. It made the transition easier, although, not without some bumps. Teh crib came down, and there was no going back, he didn't have an option but to sleep in the new bed. Some children, really dislike the crib, and putting them in a bed, solves a lot of problems, including co-sleeping. My son screamed bloody murder at bed time every night. Once he was in a bed, gone were the screaming fits (although, it took a while for him to realize that he wasn't allowed to just climb out of his bed, that is was a whole other ordeal, that I could share at another time, if it would help.) If you aren't happy with the sleeping arrangements, then it is definetely time to change them. Try a technique suggest by some here. but stick with it, don't try a different one every few days. You need a good 2 solid weeks, before you can decide if something isn't working. Teh key is being firm, and consistent. You don't want to send the message, that anything is worth a try!

Generally speaking, about co-sleeping: I think the bottom line with co-sleeping is you have to do what is best for you. If you are going to be paranoid the whole night about 'squishing' your child, then you aren't going to get a good nights sleep, which is of zero value to you, or your child if you are cranky. In all honesty, I have never heard of anyone rolling over and squishing their child, but I suppose anything is possible. You are aware your child is there, when you roll over, you are semi-awake, so you are conscience of your babe being there. The best thing, and this applies to anything when it comes to parenting, is do what you feel is right, what is best for you and your child. If you get a good nights sleep co-sleepign then great, otherwise abandon it!

------------------
You are a girl, you have a vagina. I have a penis, not girls. (I real conversation with my 2.5 year old in the shopping center no less)

Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.