Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » 2 of 10...Is it Possible??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2 of 10...Is it Possible??
EversBoo15
Activist
Member # 15917

Icon 5 posted      Profile for EversBoo15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...I took 10 pregnancy tests and 2 said I wasn't and the rest said I was...So I was really really confused. So I went to the gyn and her test said I wasn't so now im really confused...Do you think I'm pregnant I think I'm pregnant...EversBoo(16)

------------------

Puerto Rican O.o o.O always spaced out 0.o o.0 Puerto Rican Donde esta corazon??

Posts: 116 | From: Va,Usa | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did your gynecologist do a blood test or a urine test? You took 10 pregnancy tests? That must have been on teh expensive side. Where they reliable brand tests that weren't expired or sitting in a car for hours, ect... Did you do them one after another, or a few days apart. It is best to do pregnancy tests a few days (although, 7 is a good number) and to use the urine from your morning pee. It is the most concentrated. Home pregnancy tests work by measuring a hormone called hCG in your urine. Under normal circumstances it is found only when you are pregnant. There are only a few reasons why someone would get a false-positive (ie testing positive when you aren't pregnant) most are due to certain medications (ovulation enhancing, ect...) and tumors.

If your doc did a pregnancy test and it came out negative, then I bet that his/her test is correct. Most brands have 1-800 numbers that you can call. Obviously, they can't tell you if you are pregnant or not, but they can make suggests as to ways of improving the acuracy of your tests.

Also a note, did you read the tests in the time specified. Waiting too long to read the strip can produce a false positive.

When in doubt head back to teh docs for a repeat test 7-10 days after the first one, or 14 days after unprotected sex.

Good luck

Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to reiterate and make sure it's clear, Insane is correct: your doctors test is what you should go by.

It's worth saying that it's not a very good idea to become attached to being pregnant or not pregnant to the point where you're taking ten home tests, getting mixed results (likely, I'd guess, due to being so intense about things you may not be taking them correctly, or having so little urine to even take them with that they aren't going to read right), etc.

That's all the more important when you're talking about pregnancy you're not even prepared for -- when that's the case, it's oftehn worth looking, emotionally, at why you may be wishing you were pregnant.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EversBoo15
Activist
Member # 15917

Icon 12 posted      Profile for EversBoo15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not trust me. I'm not ready for that yet. It has been a little while...since I took any test I'm confused. So I'll just wait a month or 2 to know know...just hope I'm not. I won't be mad if I am though...Ok just figured out that it's 10 days after it happens maybe that why there all messed up. Someone had told me at least 12 hours afterward...I wonder why my gyn didn't ask me when it happened....

------------------

Puerto Rican O.o o.O always spaced out 0.o o.0 Puerto Rican Donde esta corazon??

[This message has been edited by EversBoo15 (edited 02-17-2004).]

Posts: 116 | From: Va,Usa | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
did your doc do a blood test or a urine test? Blood tests test positive before a urine test. The reasons for getting a false positive are teh same.

To clarify, if you want Emergency Contraceptive (otherwise known as the morning after pill) you need to get it within 72hours, although earlier is much better. To take a home pregnancy test, one should wait 14 days after unprotected sex, in otherwords when 'typically' your period would be do. Not everyone has the same cycle, and sperm can live for a few days (not weeks here, days), so conception doesn't always take place the day you have unprotected sex. That is why if you test negative, and still haven't gotten your period, you should take another test in about a week.

Waiting a month or two to see, isn't a good idea. If you intend to carry a pregnancy to term (be it to keep the baby or put him/her up for adoption) then you need prenatal care, otherwise, the timeline for an abortion is short.

Teh cliff notes version (and it has been said many, many times on this site) wait 14 days and take a test, if negative, repeat in about 7 days. When it doubt, go see your doc or planned parenthood.

------------------
Mommy, where did your penis go?

Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plainmaryjane311
unregistered

Icon 12 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldnt recommend anyone take 10 pregnancy tests. Most brands offer a test and a back-up test (that is, 2 test sets in a single box) If the first two came up negative, its safe to say you arent pregnant and vise-versa. If 1 showed positive and the other negative, I would suggest one of two things: buy an additional pregnacy test or better still---visit an OB/GYN. As the others have stated, a doctor's opinion is usually pretty safe to live by. You can always ask him/her to run a second test just to be sure (after my first test showed positive, I requested a second...which also showed positive) Did you have any other indications of pregnancy, i.e. missed period, mood swings, breast tenderness, abodominal cramping, etc? If not, I think you were worrying about nothing. And to answer your title's question, 2 of 10...is it possible? Yes, of course it is. But it is more likely that a trained physician's test will be more accurate than one performed by a nervous woman in her bathroom.

------------------
Heidi A. Durst

[This message has been edited by plainmaryjane311 (edited 03-03-2004).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by plainmaryjane311:
Did you have any other indications of pregnancy, i.e. missed period, mood swings, breast tenderness, abodominal cramping, etc? If not, I think you were worrying about nothing.

Just a bit of info: many women do not get typical 'symptoms of pregnancy', especially in the first 3-4 weeks, when they would be unsure if they are pregnant or not. We generally discourage looking for physical signs that way because it fosters a lot of stress and anxiety on the part of the woman, who can sometimes worry about every stomach twinge or breast soreness. So, really, the only good sign is a positive pregnancy test (or giving birth, for that matter).

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plainmaryjane311
unregistered

Icon 8 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wobblyheadedjane:
[B] Just a bit of info: many women do not get typical 'symptoms of pregnancy',

If you ignore the "symptoms of pregnancy", you ignore medical facts. While most of us dont experience all of them, there are usually some hints that accmpany a positive pregnancy test. If an individual shows 8 positive pregnancy tests, under NORMAL circumstances she is pregnant. Hundreds of books, journals, and OB/GYNs wouldnt list these "symptoms of pregnancy" over and over again if there wasnt some credibility to them.

------------------
Heidi A. Durst

Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But sometimes ignoring the symptoms of pregnancy means ignoring the symptoms of PMS or an overly tight bra. We're not suggesting anyone ignore possible pregnancies altogether, rather, that they confirm what's actually going on, instead relying on things that tend to be iffy.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

And everybody's got to live their life
And God knows I've got to live mine

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frozendreams
Activist
Member # 7638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frozendreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i have had three kids and my last pregnancy i had no syptoms of being pregnant just a feeling that i was. i was bleeding, didnt cramp, no sickness, everything was normal except for the feeling that i was pregnant. so not everyone is alike and not everyone has any reason to believe they are pregnant. i also had an iud for contraception. so it varys from person to person.

------------------
formerly unhappykoger

Posts: 118 | From: dayton ohio usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plainmaryjane311
unregistered

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently my statement flew entirely over everyone's heads. I stated symptoms accompanied by a positive pregnancy test, but it seems we would rather concentrate on the peas instead of the steak. Let's focus on the real issue here, if you think you could be pregnant, take a pregnancy test and show a positive, one of two things happened: you are pregnant, or you failed to follow the directions on the box.

------------------
Heidi A. Durst

Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's watch our words and tone on the boards, shall we?

No-one is arguing about pregnancy tests being reliable. What IS being argued is whether other "symptoms" are clear indicators of pregnancy. Around here, we advocate pregnancy testing over looking for symptoms which may or may not exist, for reasons wobblyheadedjane has already expressed.

Case in point, myself and quite a few of my female friends and coworkers have all experienced a time or two when our bodies present pregnancy symptoms because of other factors. I've been working a whole heck of a lot -- six days a week, ten hours a day at least, on my feet the entire time. Because of this, I'm fatigued. Because I'm fatigued, I'm drinking lots and lots of coffee. Large quantities of coffee make me have to pee like I did when I was pregnant, and caffeine makes my breasts sore. Stress makes me nauseous.

So we have fatigue, frequent urination, breast tenderness, and nausea -- all traditional, sterotypical pregnancy symptoms. Had I been unaware that all of this was stemming from working too darned much, I would have most certainly been extremely worried about being pregnant again. Instead, I took a pregnancy test and a nap, and I feel better. Had I not tested, there would have been more worry, and a heck of a lot more symptoms.

It's the same thing when someone around you is sick. We'll use strep throat for an example. You realize that since you're in contact with someone who could be contagious, and you realize, hey, my throat's a little scratchy. And I'm a little hot. Man, am I ever tired. And my head hurts. Because you're worried about becoming sick, you start to look for symptoms, and a lot of the symptoms you experience could very well be, and most likely are, psychological.

So! To make a long story short, that's why we don't really favor looking for symptoms other than a missed menstrual period (and even that can be due to worry) and a positive pregnancy test because, well, symptoms just aren't reliable.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.