Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » your opinion...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: your opinion...
inkie
Neophyte
Member # 8840

Icon 5 posted      Profile for inkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just out of curiousity, do you think its wrong for a 15 y/o to get pregnant on purpose by a 20 y/o old? Thanks!
Posts: 17 | From: my own little world, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morality aside, please remember that in most places, that would be very illegal as per the age of consent laws, and would very likely cause the 20 year old to end up in very big trouble.

For more details, please see this. It details the age of consent laws in the United states and around the world.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confused333
Activist
Member # 6450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confused333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DarkChild is very right. In most places that would be illegal.

But that aside, why would you want to get pregnant at such a young age?

------------------
Why does a rose represent love, when a rose always dies??

Friends are like condoms, they help out when things get hard.

Posts: 473 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we see lots of posts in this forum from people who are considering having children, or who really want to have a child right now instead of later, so I don't think it would be uncommon for someone who's 15 to want to have a baby.

However, I would be worried about *anyone* -- regardless of age -- who was conceiving a child by deception, because I think that that's a really lousy way to create a new life. And with any of my friends or acquaintences who get pregnant, I'd also be worried about things like how the person was going to finish their education and acquire job skills, how they were going to support themselves and their child, where they were going to live, what kind of emotional support they had -- and I'd worry about these things regardless of how old they were. However, being 15 means that they can't drive (and if they live in a place without good public transportation, that handicaps their ability to get places), they can't work the same amount of hours that most adults can do (in many states, work laws are different for people under 18), and they can't do a lot of things that "legal adults" can do, which makes it harder for them to tap into various support systems, so I'd be even more concerned.

Do I think it's "wrong?" I don't know if "wrong" is the word I'd use -- I'd probably say that I didn't think the person was really thinking about the long term consequences of her actions.

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XIII months
Activist
Member # 4067

Icon 3 posted      Profile for XIII months     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by inkie:
...15 y/o to get pregnant on purpose...

hun, if u want to have children, thats great. just one thing though, wait until ur body is ready to handle it. at 15 i thought i was done growing, but nope not at all. height yeah, but the summer of 18 my hips grew, my breasts grew more, and i realized that it was really good that id m/c-ed when i was 16. if i had remained preggers at that age, i would have had a much more difficult time giving birth.

keep your desire, but let ur body mature a little more. maybe ull still be with the guy when ur more ready physically. it was mature of u to ask though!

------------------
reality is an illusion: make of it what you will -- xiii months

"Never explain--your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway." Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 43 | From: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About them age of consent laws. I live in California. A very good friend of mine from high school was engaged to his girlfriend. she was pregnant. they were thrilled when she gave birth, she put his name as the father on the birth certificate. She was 17 at the time, he was 19. The police came and arrested him later that day. Her parents didn't even press charges -- they loved him! But they had to bail him out.

Unfortunately, I lost touch with him in recent times, so i don't know how they're doing.

------------------
"I am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t....I mean s-m-A-r-t." Homer J. Simpson
"Mmm ... floor pie!" Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duckling
Neophyte
Member # 9531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duckling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be more worried about the 15 year old part. I'm 17 now and jeez, if I had a baby...you'd have to be a pretty mature 15 year old to be able to handle taking care of a baby on your own. And it'd be really important for you to provide a good life for your kid...so you'd need to at least finish high school. My advice? Postpone getting pregnant for a while. Babysit! Get a dog! Get used to having responsibility for something that is totally dependent upon you for survival. Just give yourself more time to mature, and then make a choice based on how well you think (realistically) you could take care of a baby. Good luck.
Posts: 36 | From: US of A | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.