Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Swimming After Childbirth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Swimming After Childbirth
Girl, Interrupted
Activist
Member # 5162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Girl, Interrupted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I'm asking this question for a friend. She's working on her third pregnancy right now. Her baby is due August 2nd.

Her first two kids, were born near the end of summer (Late August & Early September) so she's never had to worry about this before.

Is it alright to go swimming after you've just had a baby? Do you have to wait? If so, how long should you wait?

Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
<3
Lissa

Posts: 62 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It just depends on her level of soreness.

If she is really sore genitally, or had an epistiotomy and has stiches (or had a c-section and has stitches), etc. the only thing I can think of that would likely make that really uncomfy is swimming in chlorinated water, which is pretty harsh on skin as it is, so on swollen tender tissue, it could be really uncomfortable.

But if she feels fine and it feels fine to her, I don't see why that would be an issue.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67207 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She should also keep in mind the amount of uterine bleeding and vaginal discharge (lochia) that occurs after childbirth, and that using a tampon (or other internal methods) is generally discouraged, especially if she's had an episiotomy.

That's not to say she can't swim while she's having the lochia discharge, it just means that she should keep in mind that there will be bleeding and discharge to deal with

And, as with all things concerning pregnancy, if she's not sure, she can always ask her doctor at her next prenatal visit. Congratulations to her!

Oh, and from this article on WebMD:

"Brisk walking and swimming are excellent exercise and good ways to build up to more intense activities. Because of the risk of bacteria entering the healing tissue of the vagina, however, you should not swim for the first three weeks after delivery. "

[This message has been edited by Aria51 (edited 06-24-2002).]

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Girl, Interrupted
Activist
Member # 5162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Girl, Interrupted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all your help. I've passed this information on to her, as well as a link to this topic.

Also, I think she will be having a c-section, because this baby is in a breeched position.

------------------
<3
Lissa

Posts: 62 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Girl, Interrupted
Activist
Member # 5162

Hi everyone. I just wanted to say that my friend had her baby yesterday!

It's another boy! Her third child, and her third boy as well. He was born on July 1st at 4:27am, weighing 4 lbs. 15 oz.

He's a small baby and he wasn't suppose to be born until August 2nd, but he was full term so he's healthy and at home now. His name is David Allen. I might be able to post a picture as soon as I get one.

------------------
<3
Lissa

edit note: For safety and privacy reasons, please do not include last names in your post.

[This message has been edited by Aria51 (edited 07-10-2002).]

ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations to your friend!
Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.