Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » is it possiable to have kids?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is it possiable to have kids?
~jess~
Activist
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~jess~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm unsure where to put this but i got a question.

I have a handicape- cp, more exact ataxia. my question is, can i still have kids with my disablity?

------------------
i love matt
my world

Posts: 278 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that depends on the kind of ataxia you have.

fyi: ataxia is a neuromuscular condition in which patients have difficulty controlling their movements. some forms are progressive and degenerative (meaning it only gets worse with time) or chronic. degree of severity can vary.

People with degenerative ataxia have shorter life expectancies. If this is a concern for you, then yes, it can affect your parenting if you were to die really early.

Some forms of ataxia are hereditary. In this case, you would be reffered to a genetic counselor who would help you weigh out the risks of having children and help you discuss your option.

Is your ataxia severe? Are you physically capable of independent living? These are valid things to consider when considering your ability to raise children.

Ataxia probably will not complicate aspects of parenting such as your ability to conceive, but some problems with voluntary movement can complicate delivery (though thanks to Caesarian Section, delivery is possible for people in such a situation).

------------------
Color is for crayons, not for people.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the ataxia is a result of cp (cerebral palsy), then it would *not* be hereditary or degenerative (unlike some other ataxias such as Friedrich’s ataxia).

People with cp can and do become parents, but cp can cause physical problems during pregnancy and birth, so it's vital to have proper medical support.

If what you're asking is do you need to use birth control to avoid getting pregnant, then yes you do! However, some doctors are unwilling to prescribe birth control pills to women with impaired circulation or mobility (including some women with cp), as they may be at a higher risk of thromboembolism. So you need to discuss this with your doctor so you can find the best method of birth control for you.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~jess~
Activist
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~jess~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just asking for future refernce.
actually my CP has become least server. Its not genertic, its a birth defect. see when i was coming out of the bith canal, i wiggled so much that i wraped the imbilicord around my neck and sufercated me. It effected my moter skills. such as my walking and coodnation.

------------------
i love matt
my world

Posts: 278 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.