Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » parenting classes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: parenting classes
xSarahx
Neophyte
Member # 5681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xSarahx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
howdy. did any of the moms or dads who frequent these boards go to any parenting classes before their child was born? or did anyone feel the need to take a class to learn the specifics about feeding, nutrition, medical care, etc? also along these lines, did any teen moms go to support groups while they were pregnant? thanks!

[This message has been edited by xSarahx (edited 10-28-2001).]

Posts: 1 | From: baltimore, md, usa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there, and welcome to the boards!

I'm not a mom yet, but my mom's a midwife, and I remember sitting in my room hearing her teaching childbirth classes out in the living room while I was growng up. Her classes focused mainly how to get the baby out but I know she also covered some early parenting stuff, like breastfeeding and proper nutrition, how to carry a baby, change diapers, fear of being a bad parent, a lot of issues I'd imagine new parents are deal with. It was all good information.

Kyth

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 10 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not yet, but i think i'm going to in the near future... I read a lot of books during my pregnancy, that covered pregnancy, labour and the first year of my baby's life... i felt pretty confident about care up until then... and now that Aaron's almost a year old, i think it's time to take a class.
Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xJudy
Neophyte
Member # 5092

Icon 14 posted      Profile for xJudy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was pregnant I took a childbirth class. It was free, from a pregnancy center, all teen/young moms, and very cool.

The instructor was an awesome lady, and in addition to teaching about labor, how to relieve the pain without drugs, and the dangers/benefits of different intervetions, and benefits of breastfeedind she also showed us (with a doll) how to do CPR on an infant, told about warning signs for illnesses, and gave out a lot of info about reducing the risk of SIDS.

Luckily I've never had to use CPR and my baby has never had any kind of sickness, but it made me feel a lot better just knowing what to do. Taking the class with other moms who were in my situation (young, unmarried, without as much emotional support as older moms might have) made it a lot better than I imagine it would have been if I'd taken the class in a hospital or somewhere else.

I definitely recommend mamas-to-be take a childbirth course of any kind, and read everything they can about infant care and what to do in an emergency! Even though it is likely you will not have to use CPR or you don't think that special breathing or knowing about c-sections will be useful, just knowing how it works is big relief.

------------------
Judy & baby Eska

Posts: 23 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.