Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Rebirth - A Chilling Account

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rebirth - A Chilling Account
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I first read this article in the local newspaper and it drove me to tears. What happened was sick and too heinous to be true. And I asked Miz Scarlet if she saw this article and she said No. It did not come up anywhere and that scared me because rebirthing is quite a big thing in the States. How is it that this piece of news failed to make it to national papers?

This is an account of how this girl was smothered to death during a rebirthing session.

IN A T-shirt and jeans, Candace was told to remove her shoes and lie on the floor on a blue flannel sheet in Connell Watkins' home in Evergreen, Colorado.

As she curled up into a foetal position, the sheet was wrapped tightly around her, its four corners twisted together above her head and held tightly.

She was then ordered to fight her way out of the man-made prison as her adoptive mother, Jeane Newmaker, held the corners of the sheet together.

Watkins and three assistants, together weighing 345 kg, placed cushions around her and pressed into her tiny form to simulate birth contractions. Candace weighed just 31 kg.

After 10 minutes, the little girl said she was tired and could not breathe and push her way out.

Eleven minutes and 35 seconds into the session, she cried: 'I'm gonna die. Please, please, I can't breathe.'

After 21 minutes, she wept: 'I'm throwing up.'

But Watkins and her assistants kept pressing in on her, calling her a 'quitter' and a 'twerp'.

'You want to die? OK, then die,' said one assistant. 'You've got to push hard if you want to be born,' jeered another.

After half-an-hour, only a faint whimpering was audible. She had said she was dying 11 times.

But one of the assistants, Julie Ponder, ordered: 'She needs more pressure. She really needs to fight if she wants air.'

Ten minutes later, Ms Newmaker asked her daughter: 'Baby, do you want to be born?' From the motionless bundle in the middle of the room came a barely audible: 'No', the last word she uttered.

And still it continued for another 30 minutes, by when the mother, feeling 'rejected', had been ordered out and watched on a TV monitor next door. Candace's face was ghostly white and flecked with vomit, her skin clammy, lips and fingers blue.

When she was finally unwrapped, Ms Newmaker tried to perform mouth-to-mouth resuscitation on the lifeless body.

An ambulance was called and at nine the next morning, Candace was pronounced brain-dead.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, Linnie, I read about that too, actually just yesterday, and was very shocked. Especially reading about the mothers motives for travelling from the east coast to Colorado and spending several thousand dollars on it. Candace was apparently *hard to handle*.

Thankfully, the therapist and her assistant have been found guilty of reckless child abuse resulting in death, which carries a mandatory minimum prison sentence of 16 years. Thing is, that in Coloradom, apparently everyone can call him or ehrself a "therapist" and therapies don't need to be reviewed before they are performed. Apparently, before "rebirthing" was done on Candace (which I think was a 70 minute session), the therapist had actually done the procedure only twice before, for less than 10 minutes each.

For those who want to know more, check out these articles at cnn.com
http://www.cnn.com/2001/LAW/04/20/crime.rebirthing.reut/index.html?s=7 (on the verdict)
http://www.cnn.com/2001/LAW/04/17/rebirthing.ban/ (governor signs rebirthing ban)
http://www.cnn.com/2001/LAW/04/05/rebirthing.trial/index.html (jurors watch video of "therapy" session)

------------------
"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's horrible. I can't believe people would do something like that.

I don't really have much more to say on the subject, just that it makes me mad, that they wouldnt' listen to the girl, and let her die.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How sad. A couple of things about this really bother me. First off, babies don't need to 'push their way out' and 'fight to live'. If they intended to 'rebirth' her, it should have been in a big squooshy bag that was open at the top. And secondly, it seems to be a horrible therapy to me... you put the child through a very traumatic experience, and they're supposed to come out nicely bonded with the parent who paid for the treatment? I'm thinking... no.
Grrr.

------------------
I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long.

Rock.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is just horribly disgusting.

Serves the idiots right.

How could anyone even think of something like that...?

------------------
*Read my diary

*Read my page

*And...alwayz :)

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.