Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Pregnancy and Parenting » Emergency Contraception Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Emergency Contraception Pill
Sweet Girl
Neophyte
Member # 3258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweet Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been wondering this for a while. If a girl thinks there's a possibility she might be pregnant and she takes an emergency contraception pill isn't that considered kinda like abortion? Or how exactly does the emergency contraception pill work?
Posts: 19 | From: Somewhere in the USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ningrrl
Activist
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ningrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it keeps the egg from being fertilized, so there really is nothing formed yet!

------------------

shedding skin sucumb defeat
this machine is obsolete

Posts: 124 | From: Lucasville, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think this is remotely like having an abortion, because all it is doing is preventing the fertilised egg from implanting into the side of the uterus.

And a fertilised egg in it's early stages is basically two joined cells, rather than something considered a "being". I think the differences, and stages of growth have names, but I'll have to have a look around to find the info.

entropie

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is an interesting pro-life (as opposed to pro-choice) attitude on morningafterpill.org.. so although the information on how the MAP works is accurate, their take on it is that it's killing a child.

I suppose it all lies in what you define as being a human being.

I just realised that in doing a search for information on the MAP, the majority of resulting pages were pro-life sites...

entropie

[This message has been edited by entropie (edited 04-11-2001).]

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know ... I have an article all written and typed up on this very subject ...

However, I'm just one big lazy a**ed Smurf, and I haven't submitted it yet. It's soon to come! I promise!

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abortion is, by definition, the termination of a pregnancy.

And one cannot become pregnant UNLESS a fertilized egg implants itself in the uterine wall. EC stops an egg from implanting, BEFORE a pregnancy can occur.

In other words, it works to prevent pregnancy, just like other forms of birth control. So, it is not an abortion. It is emergency birth control, AKA contraception.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 67209 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.