Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Two questions out of curiosity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Two questions out of curiosity
Emilbee
Neophyte
Member # 48737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emilbee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I apologize if you have to move it.

I've had two completely unrelated questions on my mind for a bit and I just got around to posting, so here you are:
First, why is there blood in a period? I realize the uterus is shedding its lining, but what part of the myometrial contractions cause for there to be blood mixed in?
Second of all, could someone please elaborate on the difference between transgender and transsexual? I realize they are different terms, but I'm unsure which context in which to use them, and I'd like some clarification. Thanks very much. [Smile]

Once again, these are both just out of curiosity, so there's no urgency here.

Posts: 23 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure thing.

How people use transgender and transsexual varies, so when you're dealing with someone who is one or both, the best tactic is just to defer to that person's own definition, like we would with any other kind of self-assigned identity.

But in general, transgender is a larger umbrella term which usually means a person or people whose gender identity is different than the sex they were assigned at birth. Most often, that means, for instance, someone assigned female sex at birth identifies as a man, or vice-versa, but sometimes it can include genderqueer or agender people who simply identify differently.

Transsexual is a subset of that, and usually refers to a transgender person who has had sexual reassignment surgery.

With periods, the uterine lining, or endometrium, grows during the fertility cycle to become very rich with blood vessels. So, as I understand it, when that lining is shed, it includes blood.

[Edited because "transsensual" is not a word. I'd say "silly typos," but that's actually kind of a cool one.]

[ 11-27-2011, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfire&Shadows
Activist
Member # 31388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfire&Shadows     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Transsexual can also mean wants to/plans on having sexual reassignment surgery/hormones. Just because they finally have the desired surgery(although it's still awesome for them) it doesn't magically mean they're "transsexual" now and they weren't a day ago.

Another definition is someone who feels aligned with another sex/gender - right down to the physical parts, or someone who wants to go through some process to make their sex identity and their body match wholly.

Heck, I might have just made it more confusing. I'm not sure how good my explanation is. Sorry in advance guys, if you're scratching your heads.

--------------------
We are all made of Star Stuff...
-Carl Sagan

...Their eyes beheld, first of all things, the stars of heaven.
-Silmarillion

Posts: 90 | From: Unknown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's why we also have the terms pre-op and post-op (just like, say, we can talking about someone who is in menopause, but that's a process, so before someone is in it, we say they're peri-menopausal), but I hear you.

And again, this is fairly new language, and it's also language where there have sometimes been clashes between how transgender or transsexual people have used the terms themselves, and how the medical or other outside community has. So, it can be confusing. Which is why, ultimately, it tends to make the most sense to just defer to someone's own definitions and use who is either or both.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I identify as "transensual" now! [Big Grin]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.