Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Should I get therapy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should I get therapy?
reeree
Neophyte
Member # 70526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reeree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would often feel like curling up into a ball or running away whenever I was in school because of how crowded it was. It would come suddenly and stay for a few days or weeks after summer was over. It also would happen randomly during the year. If there are people walking by, even if I have makeup or am dressed nicely, I sometimes go out of my way to avoid them. Like if Im walking home from school if I see people on my short route I go the longer way or a different way to avoid crossing paths with them. Mostly if there is more then one person (not talking 20 here anything over one makes me nervous). Its been okay right now and I THINK its getting better but I fear that my new class where I have to talk in public and debate will mess this control up. Last time I talked in public Im pretty sure I started shaking or twitching and felt like I was about to faint. I want to take the class but Im not sure if it will help or not.

Should I go to my counselor? If so please help me on how to bring this up and what to say?

Posts: 36 | From: The states | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lillith Ambrose
Activist
Member # 64807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lillith Ambrose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what makes you feel like you can't be in front or around people? Do you feel like you aren't pretty or trendy? Or is it just the fear that someone might try and do something to you?

If it's the first one, I think you should just try to not think about how others see you. You are you and if others don't like that, then tough for them because you are you and that means you're awesome.

If it's the second one, then just try to relax and try not to worry so much. Not everyone is bad. The class sounds like it would help, most public speaking classes do, you'll start talking and just focus on one thing. Try not to look at anyone at first or just imagine everyone away.

If you feel like you need to talk with someone about your anxiety, just say what you said above, then your counselor will know how to help. I think once you just relax and get used to people and talking around them, you'll be just fine hun. <3

Just be sure in yourself, the rest will happen on it's own time.

--------------------
(-/)

Posts: 61 | From: USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you feel like the anxiety is getting in the way of your ability to function, then yes it would absolutely be wise to at least talk with a counselor. If you're not sure where to start, print out what you've said here and read or hand it to them. What you've written looks like a very good start.

It sounds like you're having anxiety in at least two different states. First, about interacting with certain people. Being anxious in crowds or going out of your way to avoid people, for example. A counselor would be able to help you figure out what's triggering the anxiety and come up with strategies you can use to manage it.

And secondary to that you're also talking about some public speaking anxiety. Some folks do find that taking classes in speaking helps with this because you learn speaking skills and are essentially forced to face your fear (by being required to give speeches). If you're going to do this, I'd really suggest that you let the instructor know. Any good speech teacher is going to want to know that you have high speaking anxiety will work with you on strategies to manage it. (If you really want to impress them, take the PRPSA and take your score to your instructor. That'll give them a good idea of what your public speaking anxiety looks like.)

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.